The Ragol Arms

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Arms Ep III

Heading back to Ragol ? Maybe ..

+2
Neo Chade
Fenon
6 posters

Warhammer 40k

Fenon
    Fenon

Warhammer 40k - Page 6 Empty Re: Warhammer 40k

Post by Fenon Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:20 pm

The advanced orders for the new rule book are on the GW website now, £45 for the hardback book, the old one was £35. They are still selling Assault on Black Reach, I won't be buying the new rules for a while since I've just got the old ones, also the rumours are that they've changed the rules quite a lot, I want to play the old rules before the new and I want to see what they eventually replace Assault on Black Reach with, if anything.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:16 pm

Rumoured to be most likely Dark Angels and Chaos Space Marines in the new starter, prob won't be about until September, maybe August.
    Bear in mind the new book is similiar size to the fantasy one (massive) and is full colour, hence the price tag.

I won't be buying it anyway, until they do a complete redesign. 4th and 5th and now 6th are just evolutions of 3rd edition, which i didn't like that much in the first place.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:27 pm

Fen, Considering the photos not great and how small that’s got to be you must be pleased with that.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:28 pm

I am and I'm not, I'm very bad at painting so I'm happy that they've turned out pretty good. I do see all the flaws though, also I'd like to paint to the standard of the competition painters. I've just been looking at competition models and it's pretty depressing looking at my own now.

Haven't cut the image down at all but here's a pretty good photo of them:

Warhammer 40k - Page 6 Threea10

Games Workshops painted models:

Warhammer 40k - Page 6 M500511a_99120101078_SpaceWolvesPackMain4_873x627

I don't really like GW's models here but they look so clean.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:41 pm

I was thinking today that I might make the Wolf Guard squad a multi purpose squad, have like 2 guys with power fists for heavy hitting, a couple with either power weapons or frost weapons to get in a few early kills before the slower powerfists really tear things up, a guy in terminator armour with a chainfist for dealing with tanks etc and maybe assault cannon or cyclone missile launcher and then fill whatevers left with basic guys, could even have 2 cyclone missile lauchers since it would be a 10 man squad. It would be a pain in the ass resolving any combat with all those different troops. I'm going to start magnetizing my army so it doesn't really matter what I give them I'll be able to change it if it doesn't work or I don't like it.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:01 am

Here's a close up of the front of the model, the other photo should have been bigger but I forgot to turn off resizing.

Warhammer 40k - Page 6 Closeu11
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:28 pm

May very well be starting a Tyranid army sometime in the future, well once I have a playable Space Wolves army (Still a long way off), something to look forward to any way, and an extra reason to get my Space Wolves done. My friend bought me the codex for my birthday, I think anyway I've not actually got it yet. I wanted one of us to have a Tryanid army, I'm not sure I wanted it so much because they are close combat based and so are my Wolves, I'd have rather a more shooty army.

I'm thinking when I do build the army I'm not so much going to have monsterous creatures, I'm going to go with sheer numbers. My Space Wolves are pretty powerful and few in number so it would be nice to have an army that just over runs the board. I'm sure I'll buy plenty of monsterous creatures in the future though.

These new psychic power cards, not sure I like them. I don't know anything about them yet but it's a bit off putting right now.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:11 pm

Ordered some magnets, I'm not sure if they are small enough but they were the smallest strong magnets on amazon.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:45 pm

My god you could put 180 termagants onto the field for only 900 or so points, that is beyond insane! Not a smart thing to do though, you couldn't miss with template weapons and it can't take much to make them run. Still so many for so few points, I could only put about 40 guys on the field for that many points.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:15 pm

You'd never do that, but not for the reasons you say.
    But first off, tyranids have synapse, making them fearless if a big bug is nearby. They will never go run away.

Secondly, tervigons can spawn completely free termagants. They can also bestow feel no pain onto units. And you can take 5 of them in an army.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:58 pm

Ah I was actually going to ask about the Tervigon's and if the Termagants spawned from them had to be counted into the army cost, it would be crap if you put 60 to one side to be spawned and then you rolled a double wasting a good few points, for sure getting Tervigons now. I know spawned Termagants count as a kill point, can they hold objectives?

I was going to say I won't have 5 of them because I want a Tyrannofex, but though it's the same body as the Tervigon it's not an HQ it's a heavy. I need that Rupture cannon, it looks totally bad ass and it could destroy any tank as if it were nothing. Bleeding expensive though and no invulnerable save, though it can't be insta-killed and has 6 wounds. I suppose the Heavy Venom Cannon is the smarter choice if it can go onto a cheaper creature. Since every weapon is assault I can move and shoot with all of them right? I watched a video that said Biovore's had to stop and shoot spore mines.

I know some of the big creatures make the smaller ones fearless, I just didn't think that I would be able to have enough to be inrange of most of a force that big.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:17 am

Crap, I'm beginning to like Tyranids more than Space Wolves. It's just, while Space Wolves do look more different than one another than every other Space Marines, they still all pretty much look the same and have the same stats. I suppose Tyranids all have a similar look and all Termagants etc look exactly the same, the different creatures are all different sizes and shapes. Their stats are all over the place as well, with Space Marines it's only the equipment that makes them different from each other their stats are all the same. I imagine it's hard to play against Tyranids if you don't know them, not knowing what each unit is or what it's stats are and then trying to remember what everything is. If you know the stats of one Space Marine you pretty much know them all, it's also easy to understand what their weapons do since most of them are pretty much like guns we have now.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:54 pm

Tyranids are failry easy to deal with. They come in small lightly armoured flavours, or big heavily armoured flavour. Just point guns as appropiate. Also in the new edition of 40k, they are reduced to 5+ cover/feel no pain. Much easier to kill
    On the other hand, flying hive tyrants are pure evil now.

Also Marines have come out so well in the new edition of 40k. Terminators are rocks. Chances are everyone is now going to take thunder hammer/storm shields to kill the other termiantors with thunder hammers/stormshields. Blood angels slightly more, as they also get a storm raven, flyers are great. Although a possible liabilityin certain situations.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:34 pm

They needed to do something about flyers they were screwed up in the last edition I've heard so nobody used them. I don't really care much for landspeeders anyway so it's not a big interest for me. What makes terminators so tough now? Balls are Tyranids so bad that people won't play as them? I'll still collect them anyway even if they are a weak army. So do you approve of the new rules? I only really know a tiny bit about the combat nothing else, my friend is going to buy the rule book sometime I'm not, we're going to play using the old rules for a while unless he decides to buy the new rule book, chances are he'll get it with the new starter set.

How do Imperial Guard and Necrons fair from the new rules? My friend decided he's getting Necrons next. I'll be collecting Dark Eldar as a third army and he'll likely be using Ork's or Eldar as his third... I'm planning my third army and I've only got 3 models painted of my first...
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:20 pm

Landspeeders don't fly. Flyers are things like the guard valkyrie, the blood angel/grey knight stormraven and the god awful new stormtalon etc etc. And they were great before, and are now even better. Whilst zooming around, they can go 36" and only get hit on 6's, unless you have a skyfire weapon. And can always fire four of their weapons. Limited maneuverability though.

CC weapons have ap now. Most Power weapons are ap3. Hence terminators are rocks. Thunder hammers are ap2 though, as are fists. So terminators with thunder hammer/storm shield is the order of the day.

Vehicles on the whole are much weaker. They can all go faster, but it only takes 3 glancing hits to wreck any vehicle (4 for land raiders). Imperial guard have been hurt. But shooting is much better now. Volume of fire > quality of fire. And the guard have that in droves.

Dark eldar are much the same, but it's much easier for a space marine squad to wreck the raiders. On the other hand they only need to get the raiders over to the other side anyway. So much the same

Necrons were written for 6th. They are stupidly good.

Orks also haven't changed. They never relied on power weapons to begin with.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:44 pm

Ah, I thought they were pretty much the same thing. I have wondered why close combat weapons didn't have ap values.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:03 pm

Bought my first Dreadnought today! Every time I see Dreadnoughts in the shop they look so tiny but mine looks massive against my other troops. I don't really have any plans for Dreadnoughts at the moment, I'll likely give it twin linked Lascannons and powerfist and stick it in a drop pod that I'll drop behind my enemies lines, hopefully it will be able to shoot and take out one of his tanks before it gets destroyed. I suppose 170pts is worth while if it does manage to wreck a tank, I know my friend is worried about my getting close so having a Dreadnought or even two in his face early in the game might panic him into making a mistake, also it might or will take his fire away from my advancing troops.

Anyway buying a Dreadnought is off my wish list now still got:

Buy a Whirlwind.

Buy a Predator.

Buy Bjorn.

to go.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:12 pm

I've bought another battleforce now, just going to put it in storeage for now though I'm not sure what I want to do with it, I might make a squad of Skyclaws and squad of power armour wolf guard. I also bought a matt varnish spray to protect my models, after all the time I've spent on them I don't want them to get ruined.

The next thing to buy is a carry case for them, I'm getting the custom brown case. Not sure when I'll get that, but soon I expect since I've nearly got 4 models painted (Actually there are about 3 more that are nearly done).

I've still got to paint the bases, no idea what I'm going to do with them yet. I imagine it will be snow, they are space wolves snow would make the most sense and I like the cold. My friend will be making an industrial board I think though.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:31 pm

The gw cases are horrid. They are too big for the amount they store, and the foam is less than stellar.

Kr multicase do some nice cases, and far better foam inlays. http://www.krmulticase.com/ The cardboard ones are just as good as gw's plastic, but much lighter. And they do custom cut trays to fit awkward vehicles etc

Also battlefoam http://uk.battlefoam.com/ They will do custom trays for you as well as pre cut ones. And the bags are great.

Anything really, but not gw's horrible cases.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:47 pm

Hmm you've given me something to chew on, I actually did see one of those aluminium cases where I went today.

Warhammer 40k - Page 6 AL1-B_1

It didn't really look big enough though, oh they also had the card cases. Also they seem to use blue foam and the guy I was talking to today said that blue foam is hard and can scratch the model (I asked him about the foam, it's also what lead to the matt varnish).
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:53 pm

You know whats depressing, I have another drop pod and I haven't finished putting the first one together yet. I hate putting drop pods together, the dreadnought was fun and pretty quick though I still need to space wolf it up. I have quite a lot of Scouts now 15 or something no point really in magnetizing them I've got enough to do any combo's I like and I'll be getting more sometime, I need 30 blood claws so I'll need at least one more battleforce. I only had plans for one squad of 5 or 6 scouts with sniper rifles, but they are basically free with the battleforce and though I hate making them I do need drop pods, I'd like 3 or 4, I'll no doubt want to make a drop pod army, I just want to have lots of options with my wolves so people I play against never really know what I'll do, I even plan to play against the wolves strengths i.e. make them a shooting army since all their perks are close combat based. Being space marines though they are pretty balanced so it's not like they can't change to whatever tactics they like.

I want to paint the insides of the drop pod before I put it together so I can't actually put the one I've started togther yet. I'll go back to it once I've finished my 1,000pt army.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:20 pm

Space wolves are still marines, and are just as shooty as any other marine variant. Just better since grey hunters actually have a close combat weapon for when needed.

As for foam, the blue stuff used by Krmulticase I've not had a problem with. My skaven Grey Seer has a horrible history of losing flakes of paint, but he's done alright in the case. I've don't own any battlefoam, but I do have their space hulk foam, which is harder, bit a lot smoother than most foam.

You should varnish metal/resin models anyway. Gw's acrylics especially are formulated to stick to plastic, not so much anything else.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:29 pm

Thanks for the tip about the paint, I know metal is pretty sucky for painting didn't know what the resin models would be like to paint.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:48 pm

it's a great deal better than metal. And I prefer the resin to plastic as it holds the fine detail better. And the aformentioned slightly worse than plastic for paint adhersion. Just the casting defects to deal with.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:41 pm

I'm still happier with plastic than resin, Grimnar wasn't too bad though there were some nasty air bubbles on his axe, a tooth and on his feet. My friend has been very lucky with resin models Creed had nothing that I noticed and though the pack hasn't been opened his Necron Overlord looks to only have one air bubble in a place that's pretty easy to fix. I'm going to order Bjorn soon, if he has air bubbles I can't even tell you how pissed I will be. Maybe I'll like the resin more when the models are painted.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content