The Ragol Arms

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Arms Ep III

Heading back to Ragol ? Maybe ..

+2
Neo Chade
Fenon
6 posters

Warhammer 40k

Fenon
    Fenon

Warhammer 40k - Page 8 Empty Re: Warhammer 40k

Post by Fenon Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:07 am

I have my army list for my battle on Sunday, I doubt it's hugely competitive but it covers most of the bases.

HQ:

Rune Priest
    Terminator Armour
    Master of Runes
    Chooser of the Slain

Total = 180pts

Elite:

Lone Wolf
    Terminator Armour
    Frost Blade

Total = 55pts

Troops:

Grey Hunters x7
    Flamer
    Powerfist

Total = 130pts

Grey Hunters x8
    Flamer
    Powerfist

Total = 145pts

Heavy Support:

Long Fangs x4
    Missile Launcher x3

Total = 90pts

Grand Total = 600pts

I was pretty shocked that I had nearly 200pts left over after I had the basic force that I wanted. I was thinking of using Master of Runes but I just looked in the codex again and I was mistaking it with Master Psyker. So I'll be able to use 2 psychic powers but he'll still only have 2 powers to choose from, which for the most part is fine but I was hoping to use Storm Caller which if I choose that as one of the two powers would mean Master of Runes would be pointless as you can use a psychic power in each players turn, I hardly need a defence power in my own turn. I'll either drop Master of Runes or keep him as offence only.

I'm expecting this build to allow me to be more bold, the squad size's are more robust and I'll give the flamers to the guys with Powerfist's, not something I'll be doing when we are playing in 6th edition rules.

Last edited by Fenon on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:12 pm

Today's battle went well for me, mostly because of the terrain. It was nearly all improvised and yeah my friend got the bad end of it, though really both sides were bad. There were very poor lines of sight so long range stuff just had nothing to shoot at, not that it really made a huge difference my living lightning killed two of his heavy weapons models in the first turn, I did warn him but he was gambling on stealing the initiative, in which case he would have hurt my Rune Priest pretty bad if not killing him.

The game itself went smoothly we were playing 5th/6th edition rules, my friend hates the cover and taking models from the back rules of 5th so we use 6th edition rules for that.

Not much happened in the next turn or two, he tried to kill my Rune Priest with his Sentinel but Living Lightning claimed it in my next turn and it exploded only killing one of his other guardsmen, very lucky there were quite a few of them near by. Oh I think that was the turn I got lucky with my Long Fangs, they got a load of frag missile hits on his Penal Legion left only 4 of them alive. No wait that was the turn after that, meh doesn't really matter. After I had killed most of the Penal Legion I told my friend that I wouldn't fire on them in my next turn because I wanted to engage them in close combat with my Rune Priest and Grey Hunters, so he had nothing to fear from advancing into the open if he wanted, shite actually I just realised he could have had a slight advantage if he had stayed in cover with me having to go second balls, ah well in real warfare they would bait each other with insults and the Penal Legion would be the most likely to give into such bait. On his next turn he moved forwards, he wasn't bound by any oath not to fire on my men so he did and put a wound on my Rune Priest with his Penal Legion and finished him with a plasma gun shot from another squad. Fairly annoyed by that but that's just how things go, I should have kept the Rune Priest further back, there was no need of him being at the front they brave git.

He deep striked something in behind me, hold on I'll look on GW. Ah Storm Troopers. He was hoping to cause me trouble from the rear and he might well have, I forgot about them so didn't plan for their appearance, they didn't manage to get a kill though and on my next turn I used frag missiles on them from the Long Fangs, killed 3 out of 6. He also killed a Grey Hunter from a different squad that was going down the right side of the board with a lasgun shot I think.

The close combat with the Penal Legion went very well for me in that I didn't kill them all one survived and didn't manage to kill any of my Grey Hunters, they also had Stubborn so passed their moral test. On the other side of the field my other Grey Hunter squad engaged his normal Guardsmen squad in melee and also got lucky keeping a few alive and they also passed their moral test, thank goodness for Imperial Guards toughness. My Grey Hunters in the middle would have been torn apart next turn if that Penal Legion chap had died, he had a full squad of Guardsmen right behind as well as a command squad.

At this point he had almost given up, he retreated into a place that had no cover to get away from my Grey Hunters with his intact squad and Command squad, and tried to run somewhere with his remaining Storm Troopers (Not sure what he was planning to do with them).

Next turn my Grey Hunters on the right cleaned up some of his forces on the right, nothing much. The middle Grey Hunters moved into the forest to chase down the retreating squads. I wouldn't say this was a mistake but pounded me with lasgun shots, using the Fire by Rank command. Killed 4 of my Grey Hunters and then his Command Squad fired and killed 1 more I was left with just 2 Grey Hunters after that.

My friend conceded after that devastating blow, I had another 7 Grey Hunters just around the corner who would have put holes into his men next turn and the Long Fangs were still intact so was my Lone Wolf who did nothing the whole game, my fault there though I wasn't sure if Terminators could run, turns out they can I was just going by them not being able to catch people running from a lost combat.

I don't think it was just the terrain that hindered my friend we were also playing long ways on a narrow table so any terrain would get in the way, next time we'll play on the wide sides, I'll get to him sooner but he can spread out more. It would be nice to get a proper board soon though.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:21 pm

Yep I really want to make some Kaerls, who would basically be Imperial Guards. What with the Chaos Cultists I want some cheap vulnerable units, I suppose I have the Fenrisian Wolves but that's not enough I was watching Miniwargaming earlier and Dave commissioned 80 Cultists from Blue Table Painting, each Cultist was different, I'd like to do something like that, not to the same extreme though just convert a load of guards to look like Kaerls. I was hoping to use Warhammer models because it says that the Kaerls wear jerkins, I see nothing that looks right, I might have to use green stuff and sculpt the clothing.

Hmm Bretonnia's Battle Pilgrims look close to what I want, though out of shape and a bit ugly. Perhaps the Empire's Flagellant Warband. I doubt I could use the full models but I can take things from the Flagellant's. Cultists might even be useful, new heads and lasgun's maybe laspistol's to make them better in close combat.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:10 pm

I finally bought Arjac Rockfist today!

Warhammer 40k - Page 8 M2250189a_99800101022_ArjacRockfistCFC02_873x627

Every time I go in the shop they either don't have him or it's a poorly cast model. The hammer's handle is a little bent but a bit of bending in warm water should fix that, his ear looks a little funny as well and so does the area just over his mouth. Beautiful model though, any space wolves player that doesn't have him is a nob (Not like in the ork army... From what I remember nobs are good (That's what she said)).

Feel in love with this lady today.

Warhammer 40k - Page 8 M1420063a_99060112057_DELelith1_445x319

Makes me wish my next army wasn't Tyranids. Her details were so fine, I usually find Eldar faces to be iffy but her's is so nice, I can't wait to slap my brush on it. I might have to buy a 500pt Dark Eldar army based around her after I've bought my Tyranids.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:40 am

She is a sexy beast.
    She is also really really good in close combat. I mean really good. She has 5 attacks base at Initiative 9. Her weapon skill is 9, and for every point that it is better than her opponents, she gets an extra attack. And they ignore armour saves. Also has a 4++ invulnerable, 3++ in close combat. Sadly this all comes with a strength 3/toughness 3 model. so has trouble wounding and fairly easy to instant death

Space Wolves can take Dark Eldar as desperate allies, although it's not a great idea and doesn't really fit. But by all means take her (175) a Raider (70 or so points depening on upgrades) and 9 wyches (130 or so points) and have fun.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:32 am

Aww nice an excuse to buy her early! I want to buy her today but I won't be able to put her together till I've painted her, though looking at her I don't think it will be so bad painting her as a complete model, there aren't really area's that are tucked away like there are with space marines like between their back packs and backs. I hate space marine back packs so much!
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:19 pm

I'm a bad boy... I had to give someone a lift into town, I went into GW and bought her. Stop judging me!

She's such a beautiful model, the picture does her no justice. Everything is so fine and there's just a huge amount of detail. I don't know if you've seen this model close up but it's breathtaking, I think the thing I am most impressed with is the muscle tone on her arm, he forearm is so tiny but there's no lack of anything.

I'm trying to decide which weapon to model her with (There's no way I'll be able to magnetize this model), I like staffs but I think I'll go with the double knives. She's supposed to be a quick character and I think the staff makes her look too cumbersome. I don't think gluing her together will have any affect on painting her, so I might just clean her up and glue her together before I loss any pieces. Is there any reason I should choose the staff over the knife?
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:09 pm

Officially she doesn't have the staff, she attacks with her knives and whatever part of her body is barbed
    The rules count it all as an impaler and shardnet, and that staff is an impaler.

Go with whatevers coolest, as a special character she always has the same gear anyway.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:00 am

Ta I will.

I'm beginning to get an idea of how I can make my Kaerls now, I'm thinking the bodies of these guys:

Warhammer 40k - Page 8 M90055a_99120202026_EmpArcherI_445x319

With Cadian Imperial Guards arms perhaps, cutting off any military rank makings, I'm not 100% on that. I think it will look ok on the whole not sure about the shoulder pads on the guards arms, it might help to make the Kaerls look like they aren't just medieval chaps. Not sure what to do about heads either. Space Marine heads might be a bit big, scout heads might be ok and then I'll just use green stuff to make masks for them maybe. I would have liked them to look like these guys, except not fat and pox ridden, shame the first guy is exactly what I wanted them to be wearing.

Warhammer 40k - Page 8 M400806_99060203106_BretonnianPilgrims1Main_445x319

I think that I'll need to do a lot of green stuff work.

What is the minimum I'd need for Imperial Guard allies? do I need a command squad, or could I just have 10 guards?
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:03 pm

Absolute minimum is 1 troop, 1 hq.

For troops a veteran squad is 10 guys. 2 of them can form a heavy weapon team, and 3 of them can take special weapons. they are completely useless without the special weapons.
    For HQ, the only single models are the primaris psyker, or a lord commissar. Best off with the psyker. Failing that it's a command squad, who really need some gear, melta/plasma guns or a heavy weapon of some description
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:46 pm

I'll have to look at the guards hq's, it's not so much a matter of what is effective as it is what is fluff. There isn't really much said about the command of the Kaerls in the book, there was a single female who told her squad what to do and a single male that told another squad what to do. So I guess I'll have to go with a Commissioner, there are Fenrisian's that have psychic powers but I'm not sure they would be in charge of a Kaerl's squad, I imagine they would be taken to become Rune Priests. I'm not at all concerned about how effective these squads will be, they are just for fun, something to convert and to make my Wolves different from the others out there. I don't think they had heavy weapons teams in the book, I believe they only spoke of Long Fangs that's not to say they wouldn't have been there. If I was to be really fluff I should only use them when I'm defending, the Space Wolves don't like using their Kaerls.

Do Imperial Guard Psykers have any powers like a Rune Priest? In case I do decide to use one.

The nice thing about the Empire Archers is that they are pretty cheap (For GW stuff), but I will need to buy an Imperial Guard set unless my friend has enough spare arms for me to use. I'd think he does and the scout heads fit perfectly.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:27 pm

Not a fan of those new Dark Angels models Neo? I ain't keen on the current Landspeeders I like the ones back in the 1990's.

Warhammer 40k - Page 8 MY7Asc6lMyQdfV8JV0_cJMg

I hate the bottom of the current ones, all those things on the bottom I keep thinking I'm forgetting to put something onto it.

I thought I could say that I don't mind the new Dark Angels one but the engines don't look supported enough, like they would fall off with any strain. That guy as well do far at the front in a turret bit silly and exposed, in reality it wouldn't fly, that weight in the front corner would make it pull to the right and down. Glad I don't collect Dark Angels, please don't let them bring out something stupid for the Space Wolves now...

EDIT: Actually you know what, I might buy one to use as terrain, I'll model it crashed in the way I'd expect it to.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:36 am

Got a model I've been waiting 14 years for, I now have Bjorn the Fell-Handed!
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sun May 04, 2014 8:20 pm

Started my Dark Eldar army, it'll be replacing Space Wolves as my main army for a while. Just finding it taking too long to paint my Wolves, Dark Eldar I don't care as much about and I've nearly finished painting a unit in just a week, I would have finished already but I've had nothing but headaches and eye pain all week and haven't wanted to paint much. I intend to focus entirely on speed, loads of vehicles and fast moving troops.

In total I'm going to be getting to start with:

HQs:
    Archon
    Lileth Hesperax

Elites:

Mandrakes x10 (I don't care if this unit isn't good, it looks awesome)
    Harlequins x6 + Death Jester + Shadowseer (Again don't care how good these guys are, they look like they will be fun to use)
    Incubi x 10 (I think) (Not keen on these guys models, the heads really is all I did dislike I'm coming around now, but they are well armed and armoured so can't not have them)

Troops:

Kabalite Warriors x40
    Wyches x30

Fast Attack:

Reavers x9
    Scourges x20 (Maybe or just 10, got 5 already really nice looking models)
    Hellions x 20 (Maybe more, I want Baron what's his name as an HQ as well)

Heavy Support:

Ravanger x2
    Razorwing x2

Transport:

Raider x3
    Venom x2 (Maybe just 1 for now)

There maybe more HQ's, some as well that will be converted from bits of other units since a lot are missing models. All of the foot troops will be using assault weapons, no heavies or anything that will slow them down (I know they can snap fire now but still).

Can't wait to bring this army, I can see it being blown out of the sky in glorious fashion. My first list uses a lot of upgrades, all the vehicles will have Night Shields and Flickerfields. I have a feeling Night Shields will be worthless but we'll have to see. The 9 Reavers will have 3 Heat Lances and 3 Cluster Caltrops (Not going to check spelling). The 4 Incubi will have nearly all the upgrades other than the Demiklaives and they will be with Lileth in a Venom. I did want to bring the Baron and Hellions but I ran out of points and I'm not sure how good they would be against Imperial Guard, although I will be playing an objective game so I may have made a mistake not including them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content