The Ragol Arms

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Arms Ep III

Heading back to Ragol ? Maybe ..

+2
Neo Chade
Fenon
6 posters

Warhammer 40k

Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Warhammer 40k - Page 3 Empty Re: Warhammer 40k

Post by Neo Chade Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:26 pm

Thunder Hammers stun their opponent. Any models hit will be iniative 1 for the next turn. Always a bonus, otherwise they are power fists. I gave the thunderwolves a power fist, as a single thunder hammer not really worth much. Wolf claw is worth while though. Space Marines should have a fist equivelant in every unit imo as you can punch enemy characters and instant death them, always fun, as well as you can actually hurt vehicles. One thing I missed though in sample list, one thunderwolf should have mark of the wulfen. Always take the mark on thunderwolves.

Never painted space wolves, and gw removed pretty much every article to do with painting back in January. Can't really help with the new paints.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:41 pm

The Mark of the Wulven, how does it work exactly is it active for the whole game? Is the unit useless other than in close combat after activating it? Does it only last one turn?
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:25 pm

It's permanent, you don't activitate it. It's not even optional, you replace your 4 attacks in combat with d6+1 that are unaffected by wargear. Otherwise the model is uneffected in all other ways. He can still shoot, but you give up your pistol to take a storm shield so moot point.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:21 pm

Hmm so Wulven only affects melee shooting is normal, well that would make it great for the Grey Hunters. Not too sure about using it on a Thunderwolf, I mean if a Thunderwolf gets 4 attacks anyway it makes it a little risky, it's only worthwhile on a 4+ other than that it's break even or a loss. Just to make sure I do get to pick which guy in the squad gets the Wulven right?
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:17 pm

But it only costs 5 points. 5 points for a 50/50 chance of getting more attacks? Seems worth it to me. And if you do lose out? /shrug.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:44 pm

Ok worst case one guy only gets 2 attacks.

I love the Wolf Guard, they have so many options, a mixed squad of power armour and terminator armour sounds cool, the only problem is trying to make up my mind what I'll do with them, love the fact that they can lead other squads as well, going to need loads of Wolf Guard. Also because of the cost to use certain items it's almost pointless using power armour as terminators get a discount of a lot of the weapon choices for power armour Wolf Guards, it usually works out that it costs just 5 more points to use terminator armour. Sadly a 10 man squad of terminators costs nearly 3 times as much money to buy.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:43 pm

I'm going to make 2 squads of Long Fangs (Based on the weapons from the Devastators pack) the more used one will be for long range tank destruction, so Squad Leader, 2 Lascannons, the thing I'm not 100% on is should I have 2 Plasma Cannons or 1 Plasma Cannon and a Rocket Launcher. The other squad will be more mid range cover fire and have the 2 Heavy Bolters (One of my favourite weapons) a Multi-Melta and whatever I don't give to the long range squad.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:22 am

If you are dead set on the heavy bolters, give the missile launcher to that squad. The plasma cannon will be misplaced with the ap4 bolters and short range multi melta.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:19 am

Not exactly dead set but I'll have the option.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:35 pm

Well I just spent £120 on Space Wolves stuff. Got the Battleforce pack and Sniper Scout pack. I also got the hobby starter set, didn't really want to get that today but I was buying a lot of the stuff that came with it anyway and the guy managed to convince me by exchanging some of the paints I didn't need for ones I did, I also got Chaos Black.

I'll buy the Devastator pack and maybe Canis and Njal next month as well as more paints.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:13 pm

Man my eye's go funny after cleaning up my models for a while. Converting the Scouts to Space Wolves is going pretty well, I've put a wolf skull onto the front of the sergeant like in this months White Dwarf, took a while to shave the plastic down to a point where it fit and looked natural. I'm going to give the sergeant of the Long Fangs a Power Sword, not worth the points because I never want to let them get into melee range but it looks awesome. I may just proxy it as a chain sword in actual battles.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:48 am

Just finished putting together the Long Fang's Sergeant, he looks pretty nice. Went a little overboard with the wolf pelts, I think there's only one armour option with a pelt that I didn't use on him and thats only because if I had he would have had a pelt going over another pelt. I justify it by saying he's going to do a lot of standing still on hills and he's pretty old (Hundreds of years old) so he feels the cool, the other Long Fang's will be moving around reloading their hot guns, all the Sergeant will really do is tell them where to shot. Speaking of which, he's using his Power Sword to point on the model, it pokes out quite a bit in front of him, might be a pain to put into cover later but it looks cool and thats all that matters.

Don't want to make any more Long Fangs until I get the Devastators weapons next month, as tomorrow I'll start getting the Grey Hunters made and finish off the Scouts, done 2 of them now. I can make 6 Sniper Scouts (Keep writing Sniper Scots by mistake) thanks to an extra Sniper Rifle in the Sniper set (Which was slightly damaged, the barrel was a little bent and it could easily snap now) and a load of extra models I don't need from the battleforce. I've also got the Drop Pod to put together.
    DS9
    DS9

Post by DS9 Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:21 am

you painting your models?
    shrouds awesome at doing all the minute details.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:17 am

I will I don't have all the paints I need at the moment, I do have a few thanks to the hobby starter set, but I'm not sure if they are ones I can use yet, I might need other paints before I can use them. I can prep the models for the more detailed painting though.

I suck at painting but I was watching a video of a guy painting a model yesterday and his painting was like mine 13-14 years ago though he was rushing for the sake of the video and it turned out to be a pretty nicely painted model, so maybe when all the layers are applied mine won't look too bad. But I'm a really picky anal prick so any small mistake will really pish me off.

I don't think I'll get to the stage of painting today, I'm trying to make sure all the models are clean as possible basically cutting off any excess plastic from the moulding process as possible, and cutting off whatever is left from where it was cut away from the sprue. As well as just making sure everything fits together as well as it can.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:43 am

Can I give the Sergeant of my Grey Hunters a Boltgun as well as a Power Fist or do I need to use a Bolt Pistol? or is it simply better to use a Bolt Pistol as he gets more melee attacks? There's no actual listing for a Sergeant in the Codex for Grey Hunter's or Blood Claws do they actually have one any more or is that role filled by the Wolf Guard?
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:21 pm

Grey hunters don't actually have sergeants. The guy who has the power fist replaces his close combat weapon with it.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:34 pm

Well I've made a guy with a banner on his back pack thing, he has a Power Fist and a Bolt Pistol. Do I need to make any changes to him? I don't really want to remove the banner, he looks pretty cool with it. Should I maybe say that he's the Wolf Guard commanding the Grey Hunters? In which case I could give them another Power Fist, and if I'm adding a Wolf Guard does that mean the squad can be 11 men or does the Wolf Guard take the place of a Grey Hunter?
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:38 pm

The backpack trophy pole is decorative. Just because they have no sergeant doesn't mean you can't model a leader. Or use to mark an attached wolf guard. or Whatever. Wolf guards are attached, they don't replace anyone.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:11 am

Ok cool I'm liking the idea of exchanging the Grey Hunters Wolf Guard Leaders bolt pistol with a Storm Bolter, he's already pretty chunky looking and the Storm Bolter would just make him extra awesome. He's got his arms open as well which looks like he's welcoming the enemies fire (Or like a holy man that believes God will protect him from harm). I'm also glad I don't have to make any changes to the banner because I spent a little while today cutting the top part of the banner of so I could replace it with part of another back pack decoration.

I don't know how I'm ever going to get onto a second army, everytime I look in my Codex I see different combinations of things that I would like to try but that require me to buy at least 2 more packs. For instance I was having a little 4vs4 shooting match earlier between my old Blood Claws and my new Grey Hunters (Grey Hunters slaughtered them, as was expected, but that was really down to the Plasma Gun), the Blood Claws started looking like standard Space Marines next to the newer models, so I started wanting some new Blood Claws, and after you said about it being worth while to make the Blood Claws into Skyclaws for just 30 more points, well now I want to buy the Assault Marines pack to convert the Blood Claws. The draw back with the Skyclaws is that they can't have a Wolf Guard so they are subjected to the hothead rule, which sucks because they will miss their shooting phase. A Wolf Guard can be attached to an bike squad though and as you said there are loads of perks with them and they are only 25 points per model, but to make a full size squad of them would cost over £75 plus the pack of Space Wolves to make them look the park of around £100 for 10 bikes. Any how until I'm ready to decide I can just use the ones I have.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:00 am

I wouldn't worry about not getting to shoot with your bolt pistols.
    if we play the game of averages, against other marines. You fire 10 shots, half of which hit. Half again will wound, so 2.5 wounds. 2/3 of these will be saved. Odds are you may kill a guy. If you really needed that kill to help you win combat, you're doing it wrong.
    One thing to note about skyclaws. Yes it can be worthwhile. But blood claws are troops, and because of that have an element of superiority. And troops is also why grey hunters are actually the best unit in the book Wink

Can be hard sometimes, especially with marines, to get away from the myriad of options in the books. Marines have so many builds. the best way to do it, is to pick your faction and the style of list you want. And focus on it until complete. Ignore everything else until it's done. Of course playtesting is critical. Make changes as neccesary, make it the best damn list ever, but don't divert from your core idea until it's finished and you have 2250 (or whatever value) of hardcore army. Dipping into other units leads to madness and cases of half painted models. DO NOT GO HERE.
    Once you are done, wipe the army from your mind. Use if of course, take pride in it. Smash face with it. But when you want a new army you need to have a fresh concept. You don't want ideas of if I took my old idea and added this or maybe this. Form a new army concept, of course it can use elements you already have, but you want a new concept. And make it the best you can. If you pick the same faction, once this is done you have a massive army of face smashing with witch to take pride and experiment with. And best of all it will all be painted and you will therefore be 100% better than those who show up with unpainted troops. Thats my POV anyway.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:52 am

Thanks I was actually forgetting about the core idea of my army.

I've been looking at the Grey Hunters and I'm thinking that I will take the Wolf Standard as well, in the assault phase it lets me re-roll any 1's so I gain a better chance of surviving and also killing. They will almost have +2 armour save in a sense. It's just the first 1 that I can re-roll right? If I roll a 1 again I can't re-roll that again can I? Also it says all models in that unit, so does that count the Wolf Guard in charge of that unit, since he's attached to it?

Any how here's my Grey Hunters:

Grey Hunters x10
    1st Plasma Gun
    2nd Plasma Gun
    Power Fist
    Mark of the Wulven
    Wolf Standard
    Wolf Guard Sergeant
    Storm Bolter
    Power Fist

Total = 251pts

They'll be the back bone of my army so they need to be pretty decent, I may get a Land Raider Crusader/Redeemer to help get them to the front line, I need on of those Land Raider's since there are 11 guys and I think it's the only tank that can carry that many, though I could get another squad of Grey Hunters for that amount of points.

Last edited by Fenon on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:00 pm

Hmm did a very quick undercoat onto an old Blood Claw, in future I'm going to stick the models onto a cheap ruler with blu tack and spray them like that, I'll be able to move them around with ease to get to all the hidden spots. As it was I put a piece or card onto the grass outside, put the model on that and gave it a few blasts. I missed some underside bits which I didn't find out till I came back in, but hey, thats why I used a model I don't plan on using now, when it comes to the real painting I'll know exactly what I'm doing.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:25 pm

Ok here's the 1,000pt army I'm thinking of Fielding.

Canis Wolfborn = 185pts

Grey Hunters (251pts):

Grey Hunters x10
    1st Plasma Gun
    2nd Plasma Gun
    Power Fist
    Mark of the Wulfen
    Wolf Standard
    Wolf Guard Sergeant
    Storm Bolter
    Power Fist

Sniper Scouts (105pts):

Scouts x5
    Sniper Rifles
    Mark of the Wulfen

Long Fangs (190pts):

Long Fangs x5
    Lascannon x2
    Plasma Cannon x2
    Missile Launcher
    Long Fangs Sergeant

Thunderwolves Calary (265pts):

Thunderwolves Cavary x3
    Storm Shield x3
    Wolf Claw
    Mark of the Wulfen

Total = 996pts

I feel it's a fairly balanced army, though smaller than I'd like. I may exchange the Wolf Scouts Mark of the Wulfen for another Sniper Scout, I have no intention of them getting into close combat but on the off chance that they do, with their small number the Mark of the Wulfen might make all the difference, then again in the very good chance they don't an extra rifle would certainly help. Canis will be attached to the Thunderwolves to help protect him and to give them an extra punch.

Last edited by Fenon on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:33 pm

You can't have a single wolf guard, minimum of 3.

Secondly, it's not legal. You have to have two troops choices. You only have one.

Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:45 am

Crap... I was going to ask about the Wolf Guard thing but I didn't know about the troops... arse. Oh well... I guess I'll reduce the Grey Hunters to 5 guys drop the Wolf Guard for now and use either 5 Blood Claws or just split the Grey Hunters into 2 squads of 5.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content