The Ragol Arms

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Arms Ep III

Heading back to Ragol ? Maybe ..

+2
Darkstone
Fenon
6 posters

Minecraft.

Fenon
    Fenon

Minecraft. - Page 2 Empty Re: Minecraft.

Post by Fenon Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:03 pm

Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:21 pm

Ok well I'm hoping that the thing which is causing me to crash is the draw distance being on far, my game runs fine on that setting but I started having problems when I turned it up to that, so I'm on normal, which is fine and so far nothing bad has happened.

Since I lost my save file with the nice place I built I haven't been inspired by the new worlds I've made, I mean some of them looked awesome from a distance or even up close but for actually making a home etc, it either didn't feel practical or I just didn't feel inspired to build anything interesting. But I finally found a world that wasn't all EPIC and everything but did have a pleasant interesting feel to it, it's a nice little spot with a few tree's spotted around.

I had to scramble to get everything ready for night because I had been looking around the map, not quite sure where I wanted to settle or if I did in that world. I had quite a lot of wood so I made a wood hut and I watched a video showing how to make beds so I made one of those, since night is long and boring. Turns out I built my hut on an indian burial ground! At night when I used the bed to sleep, I would wake up to find a zombie or skeliton archer in my hut! I was like "WHAT THE HELL!!!" I tried putting more torches in, incase there was some dark area, which seemed silly since the hut was tiny, I also turned down the difficulty since I was trying out the hardest setting, I thought maybe it was something to do with that. Since none of that stopped and I was hearing noises in the day I figured maybe there was something under my hut, so I smashed it up and started digging. There was a cave just under my hut, I'm guessing it was some kind of bug that was causing them to spawn with me instead of in the hut. I moved home just after that, built my house of the river instead, I've had no more problems and that cave turned out to be the biggest, most resource rich place I have been in to date, it must be twice to three times bigger, and there's soo much coal and iron, I've even found diamond in it. I lost a huge amount of that iron and coal and gold thanks to a bloody creeper that sneaked up behind me which I was near lava mining and blow me up. I respawned at night and was completely lost.

I moved out of that floating hut because it was boring and I'm now living in a very basic tree house, there are no walls only a floor and two torches with a ladder going up the trunk, it's a nice looking home, I like it and I've had no trouble from spiders or creepers camping at the bottom, there are a lot of lights around the bottoms of the tree in the little forest and it looks quite magical at night. I've gone from living in a highly defencive castle to living in a completely exposed tree house.

I don't know about you but other than there being two people this is a lot like my first night: except I got lost in my little house and couldn't get out, so I restarted.

Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:23 pm

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I just spent freaking ages down in that mine shaft exploring a new massive area I had to stop and make a little base to store all my findings and build picks etc because I didn't completely know how to get back By this point a few different paths had joined up and I could be going in circles forever, I already suffered from that before this), I started closing off the paths so I can feel a bit save from wandering monsters, I thought there were only a few paths but and I was closing the entrances and lighting the area I kept finding more paths, about 5-7 I think, it was a large room. I was becoming worried that I would never find my way out when I hear the sweet sound of a pig taking a bath and knew I was near the surface so I found a spot and started digging up FREEDOM!!!! I GOT OUT!!! Lucky I didn't dig at the pig place because that was under the lake my hut is floating on.

I went up to my tree house pressed f5 a few times and the game crashed!! It's all lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHAHHAHSHSHSDHAHDUSDUAHDWESDHFUBNF!! anger. I had about 50 iron 8 gold and aload of other stuff I'm really pissed off now and to make things worse I went to were I came out and because I couldn't find the entrance I started digging down madly and I'm a little stuck...

Not happy.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:34 pm

Slightly calmer, went back on and looked to see how much I had lost, it's a lot, everything I've down in the last 2 maybe 3 hours, ok I need to start saving a lot more often, I'll put that on a sticky "Save often".

On the plus side it hasn't been destroyed all the stuff I mined has come back I just need to retrace my steps and mine it again.... Ok this time I'm going to take my time and make the routes clearer and set up check points a long the way with signs letting me know how the hell to get out, and I know where I can escape too.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:52 am

Ok the problem with the game crashing might be to do with Java, a fix said that I should download the 64 bit version so I'll do that and see what happens, it's certainly caused by the distance being set to far.

Found some lovely clay as well earlier, problem is I just went wondering and I'm not 100% sure how to get back, the games map is about 8 times the surface of the earth so it might take a while to find my little home. I could just die but that doesn't really help me. You can't take it with you after all.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:58 pm

Play Minecraft Classic for free!!

I Registered on the Minecraft site and now below the option to download is an option to play Minecraft Classic in the browser for FREE! Clicked on it and it’s now running on my knackered work pc, mind you it is huffing & puffing a bit Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Not done anything yet I'll wait until I get home, but suggest peeps give this a go to get a taste for it.

EDIT It works great, the second world I tried I was in the middle of a forest, so did the placing blocks below feet trick to raise myself above the trees, I just kept going lol, no slowdown detected, I don’t know what the Classic version is missing but this will do for the moment, had to stop as the noise of the fan on my work pc was beginning to draw attention. Laughing
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:23 pm

Yeah, I think I said this already but I think you can only build things with blocks not craft, when you get a chance to play it more let me know how much you can actually do and if there are monsters etc.

I've had no more crashes since getting the 64 bit version of Java, my screen went black for a second and I freaked out a bit but thats all thats happened so far.

I'm going to use a texture pack now, I do like most of the textures but the armour and the iron door look too bad for me to stand. There are limits. I'm going to use the same one as the Yogscast guys just because I know I like it and I can't be assed to look around at other ones, sifting through crap to find one gem.

If we ever do meet up online with this game we may not need to pay, we could just see how much bandwidth is used. But if we did that the problem is we could only play when the person thats hosting the game hosts it.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:30 pm

Found out the differences now, basically it is just building with unlimited blocks, but it will give me a feel for the Alfa version and that’s all I wanted before committing to buy.

Here’s a link to explain the difference between Classic & Alfa. http://hubpages.com/hub/Minecraft
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:23 pm

Oh yeah ok, that looks like quite a different game from what I'm playing, I think I would get quite bored of that after 10 minutes. The mixture of all the elements in survival mode are what interest me.

If you do get the full game I suggest downloading a thing which makes a map of your game world (I don't mean a map editor) you won't need it if you don't go far from your spawn point but if you expand you can make an image of your worlds map and find your way back, there's no ingame map system yet, I don't know if I want them to make it because it is quite fun getting lost.

There are map editors as well which you can use to either cheat or create something like you do with the free version. I think it's good that the game lets you use editors, it's good if say you want to host a server with a large town, you don't have to spend weeks gathering and building.

Built a mine cart and track for it today, it takes a lot of iron and really doesn't work well. There is a cart you can make which is an engine that you can use to push the other carts along, it can't handle going up slopes, maybe a very short slope but nothing more. I made it with the intention that it will make moving resources in and out of the mine easier but I have to slowly follow the mine carts giving them a little push, it takes a lot longer, I could have made 2 or 3 runs before the carts get there. I think I might rip it out and make a flat railway line between my surface camps and use it as a mode of transport, the problem with that is I need to be behind the engine to start the thing and then run to the front before it gets away from me. Maybe there is a better way of doing it, I'll have to look it up.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:49 pm

Fenon wrote:Oh yeah ok, that looks like quite a different game from what I'm playing, I think I would get quite bored of that after 10 minutes. The mixture of all the elements in survival mode are what interest me.

Yep I built a house with a spiral staircase, thought that was easy..... Now what?
    I might get the full game at end of month.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:50 pm

Yeah that link about the differences said it best it takes a long time to gather the matterials to build your massive castle but its so rewarding when you do.

I finally found a dungeon in the game! Been looking forward to it. It was good but you know what? I continued exploring and a freaking creeper killed me and I lost everything I had on me! I only got a few iron some buckets and a little gun powered but the real loss was my iron tools which were worth about 15 iron or so I would guess. I also had iron armour but that was pretty beat up anyway.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:18 am

Minecraft is in the top 10 most wanted FAQs on Gamefaqs, thats for all the consoles. That was a bit unexpected, I mean I know it's a good game but it's still indie.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:14 am

Thinking about making an underwater building, not completely sure how to go about doing that, it's crapping dark underwater at the depth I want and well you can't put torches down, you also need something to build on, so I'd either need to go right down to the bottom or drop gravel or sand down, but acutally unless I built something out from the shore that wouldn't work.

Once I work out how to do it I want to make the place out of glass and of course fill it with torches (Not a good idea unless you have some way of creating more air, lucky this isn't real life), the entrance will also have to be on the bottom, I'm not sure what will happen if I create a bottomless box in the sea, maybe the water will drain out maybe it won't
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:56 am

Found my second dungeon found a load of stuff after that (Not much in the actual dungeon) and later got an arrow in the face and died lossing all of it again... The annoying thing is I had food so I could have healed myself and been fine. AHHH I'm beginning to think I suck at this game.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:34 pm

Shiiii... crap I got distracted by the sound of a slime which sounds like someone pleasuring themselves and while trying to dig to them fell into some lava...I did loss that much, well my armour but that was a bit beat up anyway, still useful though... Lost a bit of iron but mostly red stone dust, which is ok because I haven't really used it, it's common enough and I already have a tonne. I had about 20 odd iron earlier, glad I dropped that off in a chest I would have been very angry at myself for lossing that. I will have to use all of it to restore my armour though plus a bit more.

Going to take the 5 or 6 TNT blocks that I have and find a nice cliff, place the TNT into the rock wall, wire it all up with red stone dust down to a lever at the bottom of the cliff and blow a hole in it, and use whatever hole is made to start a new home. I'll build a stair way down on the inside of the cliff as well, might start the search now since I have nothing on me, no need to worry about getting back I can just die, that is after leaving some torches so I can find my way back.

I was going to use a map editor to make a town etc, but it just cheapens the game so much. I did download and install one but I may remove it later.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:13 am

Wow clay is a lot more rare than diamond, except with clay you get a lot more from each block, not sure how much is needed to make bricks, I think you put the clay into the furnace to make bricks so maybe it's just the one.

I've explored as far as I can in a day in most directions and have yet to find a decent rock wall to make my new home in, it seems that this map doesn't really have that, which kind of sucks but it's good for just about everything else so I shouldn't complain.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:12 pm

Ugh, I built a nice new home where I was storing some clay quite a long way from my spawn, and I finally started building a bridge over to it, it's going to be a massive bridge with a railway line to help me get there in about a minute rather than 10 minutes or more. I took a quick look at a map I made using that programme, and picked a spot to start that would bring me close to the house, it was an isometric map so not the easiest to judge, I started building and got about half way then decided to make a new map and see how far I had come and where I would end up... This is where it goes wrong the top down map I made shows that the bridge will end up right next to my house on the side of the house which I have big windows to look at the view, if I continue on all I have to look at will be a massive grey ugly bridge.

So now I have to slowly take the bridge apart which will take about 10 times as long as it took to build because I have to be very careful not to fall off and it takes a while to break the blocks but takes no time to put them down. *Sigh*
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:42 am

Ok finished taking down the first bridge, first problem taken care of. Second problem, there's a hill on the spot I want to build my new bridge, I want the bridge to have a flat base and I want to make a building around it like a railway station in the future, which means I have to do something about that hill. I blow part of it up with all my TNT but there was quite a lot of stone in the middle so now I just need to dig and mine till it's want I need. Still at least I'll have even more cobble stone.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:08 am

Ok finally finished leveling that hill, it took a long time and was really boring, I would have finished sooner but I got distracted by an interesting cave at the bottom of the hill which went on forever, I've not explored everything and was becoming very concerned about getting lost in it. I actually fell into a dangerous area and freaked out a bit that I would either die (I had a diamond on me and loads of iron and gold) or just wouldn't be able to find my way out, so I made sure to make a way back up and got out of that cave as soon as I could, I did find my way out first time but I think that was more luck than anything.

Finally going to start making the bridge now, but I just looked on the map and there's another problem, the place where the bridge ends up is also a hill...
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:08 pm

Tried to upload a picture of my map but it was a little big so I'll edit it later and try again.

Yeah! Just put down all of the track onto my bridge, and put in a booster that will power my mine carts, it exploits a bug but it can't be helped, the offical way to power carts isn't good enough and requires you to stand behind it, not a good thing when you want to use your cart for travel, they need to fix that. I had nearly 4 stacks full of iron, now I'm down to just over half a stack, and I need to make more stuff with that, I need to go back down into my mines and find some more. I also need to add cosmetic stuff to my bridge to make it more visually acceptable.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:01 pm

Oh hello, there's been an update and wolves and cookies have been added, achievements are coming in the next update big freaking deal...

Actually the thing I like most is that sleeping in a bed resets your spawn point, so no more long runs for me. I'm already missing it actually, it was kind of exciting to get spawned in the dark without any gear, now I'll get sent to my safe home. I missed the long wait at night when I realised beds were in the game.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:53 pm

Awww my texture pack was messed up, I'll get a different one this time.
    Darkstone
    Darkstone

Post by Darkstone Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:24 am

The one I use has been updated already

JohnSmith Texture Pack
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:50 am

Does that texture part give you completely different looking armour? Because thats mainly what I'm after, I hate the look of the vanilla games armour.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:25 am

You been playing it Stony? I'm stil on the fence.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 10:42 am