The Ragol Arms

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Arms Ep III

Heading back to Ragol ? Maybe ..

4 posters

Oblivion question for Stony

Visage
    Visage

Oblivion question for Stony Empty Oblivion question for Stony

Post by Visage Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:44 pm

I thought it best to consult the oracle on this matter Very Happy

How would I go about playing this with third party modifications, and what mods would you recommend?
    Darkstone
    Darkstone

Oblivion question for Stony Empty Re: Oblivion question for Stony

Post by Darkstone Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:50 pm

I`ll answer this shortly mate,I`ve got an acupuncture session in a few mins...... its not a quick answer Very Happy
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:00 pm

No rush I just want to know if it's something that can be done without to much hassel.
    DS9
    DS9

Post by DS9 Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:38 pm

acupuncture ? er is this a real thing or a stoney clever joke
    isn't that the thingy where eastern types stick pins in you? scratch
    Darkstone
    Darkstone

Post by Darkstone Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:52 pm

Modding Oblivion can be as easy or as complicated as you want.Some mods are just single files you drop into a specific folder and others need extra utilities to make them work.Start off small and work your way up.
    Your best bet is to visit some of the modding sites and see what is available and work out what you want to try.Mods available range from a simple sword addition to complete new worlds and epic quests.

Some of the best sites are

http://tesalliance.org/forums one if not the best modding forums,but of course I`m biased here,we have classes and courses here to start you off making your own mods,covering simple house construction to world building and 3D modelling.Also covers Fallout/Fallout New Vegas

http://forums.bethsoft.com/ the official forums,has a very active modding section where 99% of new mods are discussed with download links and support

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/ the biggest collection of Oblivion mods in one place,theres hundreds of thousands of them here,Also has sections for Fallout3,Fallout New Vegas and Dragon Age

Have a peek around those places and see whats available and then have a read here,this gives you a brief outline of how to install mods.Dont worry about info overload,once you get the hang of it its generally pretty straight forward.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/449239-oblivion-mods-faq/

That should keep you going for a bit

Laughing
    Darkstone
    Darkstone

Post by Darkstone Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:53 pm

DS9 wrote:acupuncture ? er is this a real thing or a stoney clever joke
    isn't that the thingy where eastern types stick pins in you? scratch

Real thing mate,I`ve got some severe back/neck/arm issues and this seems to be working.
    DS9
    DS9

Post by DS9 Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:24 pm

ah right sorry to hear that but glad to hear it helps
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:33 pm

The day has dawned at last, The one that Stony's been dreading where me & fen bombard him with dum questions about Oblivion Twisted EvilTwisted EvilTwisted Evil

I got it so I can experience the mods, I’ve already sunk a good few hours into it on the 360 and from what I hear there’s not much of a visual difference compared to PC vanilla. So if possible I'd like to get down to the moding right away.

I don’t want to change the game to much at the moment, but something to improve the landscape visuals would be good, and I heard about an xp mod that helps with the grind.
    Also I’ve read about an alternative start from a boat, but don’t really know were to look.

If you want to blow my mind with a load of cool stuff then go ahead but bear in mind I need to get the hang of installing this stuff first so go easy.

btw you may have already answered my question in the earlier post, so feel free to refer me back to it.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:00 pm

Ok had a look back at the previous set of inks, my problem is it's there are so many it's daunting.

Is there a simple texture pack I can bolt on for starters and then go from there?
    Darkstone
    Darkstone

Post by Darkstone Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:12 pm

First things first as they say, to get a good stable modded Oblivion there are a few tools you`re going to need so download and install these,you will need to join some of the sites linked but its no big deal as they host most of the mods you will use anyway.

OBSE - Oblivion Script Extender - expands the Oblivion engines scripting abilities - essential for some mods - Read the instructions for Steam install carefully

OBMM - Oblivion Mod Manager - the easiest and most basic manager to learn - once you start installing mods you dont want to be using Oblivions built in mod manager system for dealing with mods as its not the best.

BOSS - Better Oblivion Sorting Software - essential as you start to add more and more mods, it basically sorts your load order for you automatically and picks up on any errors and suggests remedies.

Wrye Bash - the most advanced and intimidating mod manager,what it does cannot be described in a few words, just trust me, you will need it

I would recommend joining TESNEXUS and browsing their huge collection of mods and read some of the links in my post above.As I said before, once you get the hang of it its really pretty simple < lies Smile

Darkstone
    Darkstone

Post by Darkstone Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:21 pm

Visage wrote:Ok had a look back at the previous set of inks, my problem is it's there are so many it's daunting.

Is there a simple texture pack I can bolt on for starters and then go from there?

This is the texture replacer I use as a base and the first one I install,its rather large as the textures are hi res.

QTP3R
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:22 pm

Thanks mate I'll start with those.

I'm finding this page quite helpful too.
    http://sites.google.com/site/ballofflame/balloffire%27soblivionmodlist

Going to see how far I get without bothering you now.
    Darkstone
    Darkstone

Post by Darkstone Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:26 pm

Thats a pretty good site but some of the links are outdated which will cause issues with mod installs, I would recommend joining BSG and head to the Oblivion mods section,you`ll find good up to date lists there as well as guides for using/installing mods.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:42 pm

I was going to start a new topic but I'll say it here.

I do like the game, but I'm affraid I don't like the start much, the first bit is a little long, I've played for just over an hour and I'm still in the place and I haven't exactly been taking my time or looking around much. I just past a part which I would have liked to have been the end of the start area, but I've got to go through even more before I get out and I've was bombarded with quests which I hope aren't for the area because I want to get out. I'm sure I'll enjoy the game more when I get out of that place.

I have no real plan of what to do with my character, I picked a dark elf. I think I might have messed up my character already because I've not taken care in things I've picked for it.
    Darkstone
    Darkstone

Post by Darkstone Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:52 pm

Once you get out in the open world the game starts properly, theres no quests in the tutorial dungeon, any you get relate to the open world.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:14 am

Came out of that sewer and went straight into another long tunnely place opposite, I've gone to the big city place and I've already been arrested. Not really sure what to do now, maybe I should have read some of the quest pop-up things.
    Darkstone
    Darkstone

Post by Darkstone Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:19 am

All your current quests are listed in your quest journal, also talk to npc`s to get more quests, the beauty of Oblivion is that you can do whatever you want to do, follow quests, explore, its up to you.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:58 pm

In case everyone's wondering it's up and running, I'm doing my homework before installing mods I've got all the pre install stuff in so I'm ready to go, just got to chose a mod or two, I really want the alternative start as I'm sick of that bleeding dungeon already.
    Darkstone
    Darkstone

Post by Darkstone Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:38 am

This is about the best alternative start mod, it gives you multiple start points to choose from and its by a very respected mod maker.

Alternative Beginnings

Also this is a gem of a site for all your install questions

TESIV:POSItive

And well done for doing your homework Vis,reading up on a mod before installing is the best way to go forward and can save you many headaches.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:45 am

Sorted, my first mod Alternative Start Arrive by Ship installed and working. and so it begins.Suspect Very Happy

EDIT.. cheers Stony didn't spot the above post until after i posted this I'll check them out.
    Darkstone
    Darkstone

Post by Darkstone Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:50 am

The journey starts now.......

As a point of interest heres my active mod list of esm/esp files, I also have about 60-70 other mods installed that are just texture replacers so dont show up on the list

Spoiler:
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:03 am

Yikes! I may slowly try to imitate that, as your in the best position to sort the diamonds from the slime.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:31 pm

Ok I'm not really happy about my character, I think I'll just dumb down and make a human warrior to go slash slash. I had a dark elf which the birth sign that gives you shadow (Don't know how you actually use that) and pilgrim class, it was all a bit screwed up. I don't want to go through that tutorial dungeon again but I'm not really enjoying the game at the moment.

Also my game kind of crashes when I close it from the main menu, I get the box with "Oblivion stopped working" after a while. It did that just now and my mouse pointer vanished completely even when I pressed Ctrl Alt Delete it wasn't there. I had to hold the power button to restart my PC.

(I'm not looking forward to adding mods to this game it looks like a pain in the arse)

By the way Dark did you ever make the Ragol Arms mod?
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:17 pm

Ok started again and I'm basically back to where I was, I'm enjoying it a lot more now. I'm just going to sell the junk I got in the second dungeon and then try and find something else to do. I have to say I don't like that I start near the big city. It's one of the first things you see and you are going to be drawn to it, but when you get there, you just get overwhelmed. I'd rather have started near a small town and been slowly introduced to quests shops etc. That and getting around a place that big is such a pain in the arse.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:39 pm

Is this texture pack any good?

"Qarl's Texture Pack 3 - Redimized"

Didn’t see it on your list, It took over an hour to download but I've not installed it yet.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:21 am