The Ragol Arms

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Arms Ep III

Heading back to Ragol ? Maybe ..

+2
Neo Chade
Fenon
6 posters

Warhammer 40k

Fenon
    Fenon

Warhammer 40k - Page 5 Empty Re: Warhammer 40k

Post by Fenon Fri May 25, 2012 10:30 am

Thanks, Space Wolves of flying disk's would be pretty awesome, i'm going to games workshop today I'll give them a suggestion box and put that in it.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Tue May 29, 2012 12:35 am

My friend is fretting a bit about having to face space marines with imperial guards, I think he's worrying too much about the differences squad vs squad when he should be looking at the over all picture. Is there anything you can tell him to reassure him that fighting against space marines isn't an unfair battle. I am worried about fighting imperial guards, I know I can crush his squads but I'll loss men doing it and even if I loss just 2 men that is still a massive loss, thats almost as many points as that squad, if I lost 5 men but still wiped out the squad I'd be coming off the losser (If it was a pretty basic squad), it would be pretty crushing. I'm not sure how many men he would be bringing, if he's mostly bringing tanks then yeah lossing men would matter a lot. I think at the moment he's bringing 3 tanks to a 1,000 or 1,500 point battle.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Tue May 29, 2012 1:57 pm

It is slightly unfair against space wolves, but take heart. You have a great deal more guns. Remember all guard can get a 4+ save by staying in cover. Don't ever be in the open. You have access to more plasma guns. A basic infantry platoon costs 220 points with 5 plasma guns. You also get 25 warm bodies and an officer. 2 x Veterans squads with plasma guns cost 230 points and gets you 6 plasma guns and 20 warm bodies. Either option can remove a squad a turn.

Tanks are cool options. Banewolfs are marine killers. They rock. Executioners make terminators cry, but are hidieously expensive.
    The basic Leman Russ can reach out and touch squads 72" away. Any squad not on cover will die. And it's cheap. 3 Leman Russes with no upgrades will set you back 450 points. Bargain for the damage they can do. And not super easy to kill from range either.

You also don't really care about close combat. Sure You die horribly. But as long as you are only losing a squad a turn to the beasts, you are on top.

The secret to Guard is whatever you do, you can do with more bodies than anyone else.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Wed May 30, 2012 12:16 pm

My friend was heartened by your advice, I think he just had a bit of shell shock because he bought some dice and did some rolling to see how shooting would turn out, I don't think he really expected a better result but seeing it put a bit of dread into him, going from so many dice to so few.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:21 am

Yay finally finished painting the basic Space Wolf armour colours onto all of my Grey Hunters! Today I finally had chance to start doing the fun part of the painting, adding various colours to the squad, ok so far only red... It's just one of the main colours they use and I mixed up a batch of the special red so needed to paint it onto all of the models before it dries out (I'm keeping it in a pot so it will last a few days). Tomorrow I'll be mixing up some black (I'm using a faded black) and I'll paint on some metallic paint tomorrow as well. Hoping to be nearly finished with my Grey Hunters by the end of next week, not overly hopeful though, but I'm just sick of seeing them all in bits (I broke them up so I could paint into those hidden and almost hidden area's. I've gone a little over the top with that just now I was painting detail into an area that I know there is no way anyone will see).

When I finally finish I'll be able to paint my Scouts, I want to do them before the Long Fangs because they are quite a lot different to normal Space Wolves and after painting 11 of them I could use a break. After the Grey Hunters the other squads are all 5 or less men so it won't take as long to finish each of them which will be very nice.

I don't really want to rush painting but I do want to finish this first squad to feel some progress, also my friend refuses to play until every model is fully painted and I think even until the table is fully made and painted. I'm not going to try to convince him otherwise, but it'll be months before we can actually play the game. But maybe not if we play a Kill Team game.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:57 am

The Thunderwolves with Canis are freaking insane! I don't have the newer rules so I maybe getting stuff wrong but even if I am they are still insanely tough! I just put them up against my Grey Hunters, the Thunderwolves (I'll just call them TC) started out side the Grey Hunters (GH) range, TC moved 12" they have no guns so couldn't do anything, the GH took their shots but were outside of rapid fire range (Can you move and still rapid fire now? I think I've seen it happen in battle reports) so only took one shot each two of which were plasma shots, both plasma's missed and one was lucky not to over heat, bolters hit but against toughness 5 needed 5+ to wound and only one did, by sheer luck that one wound actually got past the TC's impressive armour, but still basically did nothing as the TC have 2 wounds. The next turn the TC moved another 12" and were in charge distance (Might have been smarter if I had retreated the Grey Hunters but I didn't really have room where I was playing), the charged and I let the TC attack first, I'm not too sure of the rules for assaults and I'm not going to bother learning at the moment, I'm getting the newer rule book soon (I know the new edition comes out soon, but we've seen video's about what the rules might be and they change the game a lot if they are correct so we want a copy of the old rules if we don't care much for the new ones) anyway the chain swords killed four guys in all two were from rending wounds. Next the GH returned the attack and did nothing, I let the GH powerfist attack before the wolf claws but one of his two attacks missed and the other was stopped by the storm shield. Canis attacked next with his wolf claws, I picked to re-roll hits and got 5 attacks all of which wounded and there were no armour saves which left only one GH, the TC with a single wolf claw went next and again I choose to re-roll hits which I needed because only two actually hit, the re-roll gave me five out of a possible 6 hits, I think all 5 wounded and so killed even though they only needed one.

It's just nuts that they can take out Grey Hunters that fast, and suffering next to no injuries. Ok might have been a different story if the plasma guns didn't screw up but even so with those storm shield saves there was a very good chance they would have been fine.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:25 pm

Yes TC are awesome. Also they are fast. They move 6", have fleet so can run d6", and then assault 12". Nothing much can flee from them. It's also worth noting assaults go in iniative order. Wolf claws suffer no penalty to initiative. Canis would of gone first. Then all the cavalry and GH would of attacked at the same time, then the powerfist.

However, put the grey hunters on a second floor of a ruin. They then cannot be touched :p (TC are cavalry, cavalry cannot climb up ruins)
    Still probably won't 'win', but they also won't ever die.

You've always been able to move and rapid fire. You can always fire twice up to 12" whether you moved or not. If you stay stationery however you can fire a single shot up to the weapons range.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:08 pm

Ah I made a mistake with their movement, I was thinking they moved 12" and assaulted 6" but yeah now I remember. I must have misread the rapid fire rules. I forgot about the higher level rule as well, it might serve my friend well to put an objective point on the top floor of a building in that case. Can Fenrisian Wolves climb up to higher levels? My speed army uses a lot of Fenriaian Wolves as it's troop choice, doesn't matter too much if they can't I'll have Skyclaws as well, hmm I don't seem to have posted my speed army, thought I would have oh well here it is:

HQ:

Canis Wolfborn

Fast Attack:

3 Thunderwolves

10 Skyclaws

3-5 Swiftclaws

Troop Choice:

14 Fenrisian Wolves +1 Cyber Wolf

14 Fenrisian Wolves +1 Cyber Wolf

I did do the math and work out exactly what I would be bringing to a 1,000pts battle, it's something like that anyway. Actually we are going up to 1,500pts now so I could make this bigger, I think if I was going to change it I would add 2 Rune Priests with Jump Packs and another squad of Skyclaws, attach the Priests to the Skyclaws to keep them from making that auto charge, and also be able to cast Jaws of the World Wolf.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:44 pm

Worth noting, in a game with objectives, you cannot win with that list. Unless you totally wipe the other side out. You have 0 scoring units.

Wolves are beasts, and follow the exact same rules as cavalry. They also cannot climb ruins.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:48 pm

Yeah I don't exactly know which type of units can capture objectives, I know Fenrisian Wolves can't says clearly in the codex, I was only really thinking about using it in simple army vs army no objectives missions though. But I think actually it's more in the nature of the Space Wolves to try and kill the entire enemy, to bring the hunt to completion as the "Battle of the Fang" book would put it. I think it would be pretty fun to play like that actually, it's a speed army and I need to get fast kills to kill everything before the game ends, puts a tonne of pressure on me.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:05 pm

Only troop non-vehicle units count as scoring. And anything else that says it's scoring.

The default rules randomly select from 3 different missions, and 3 different deployment scenarios. 2 of the missions are objectives, one is kill points.
    Playing just kill points is a bad way to experience the game. For one it radically unbalances it. The challenge is to come up with a balanced list that can hold objectives as well as kill the enemy. Playing just kill points, results in everyone playing the type of list you've made. Nothing wrong that, it opens it's own challenges in winning. But honestly if you just want to push two hammer armies together may as well go play conkers, same amount of strategy involved.

I'd never play anyone who just wants to play kill points, there are guys who do that at our club. And You just have to ask why.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:51 pm

Yeah I couldn't stand just playing kill points, the speed army is an off shoot of my main balanced army to mix things up a bit. I love the fact that their are different types of missions, when I was flicking through my old rule book and found that I was like wow awesome! I think when we play it will be able half and half between randomly picking missions and choosing them, I like the idea of not knowing what it is I will have to do when I decide upon my army but I also like playing the ones that suit my mood or the mood of the person I'm playing with. The only thing I can't stand is doing the same thing over and over again, which is going to cost me quite a bit of money buying all of the units I want to build different types of armies including tanks armies even though I know I'll be at a disadvantage against Imperial Guards with that.

One of the things I'm looking forward to is that my friend wants to make a large stronghold in the middle of the table which will be hard to assault against, it will be a special set piece battle field. I'm invisioning something thats quite large I don't know what he's planning, I doubt it will happen, you know one of those things you plan and never do but fort defence should be fun even if it's in a simple form. Something pretty fun would be for it to have break away walls with armour values and wounds that can be broken down to make entry points into the fort, you could also use drop pods to get side and the troops could maybe take control of a objective to open the front door, or maybe deactivate automated gun emplacements. Well ok some of that is going a bit far... He'll be making most of the terrain, mostly because he wanted to and also I'm nowhere near finished painting and he's much closer though he has another battleforce coming and has 3 tanks to build.

After I finish building my army and playing a few games with my friend I might look into joining a club, I'd quite like to play 2v2 battles, teaming up with my friend, I think Imperial Guard and Space Wolves would make a great combo.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:40 am

Ok so what are the difference's between power fists and lightning/wolf claws, in my old rule book it says they are pretty much the same, they both double strength, ignore armour saves and go last. I know that the wolf claw let you re-roll hits or wounds and add an attack, does it also double strength? And the suffer no penalty to initiative. So they are way better than power fists then, or am I missing something? If so I think I'll swap out my terminators power fists for wolf claws.

I'll buy the current rule book this week I think.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:17 pm

Power fists are like you say. Ignore armour saves and double your strength, but you strike at intiative 1.
    The real power in fists is they let you instant death pretty much any character. And also stop you getting dragged down by walkers, monstrous creatures etc.

Lightning claws are basic power weapons. But they allow you to reroll failed to hit rolls. Wolf claws have the choice to reroll to failed to hit instead. No str/init modifiers.
    The strength here is obvious, you can achieve a great deal of wounds. You are only strength 4 though. Usually worn as a pair to get as many attacks as possible to make use of the reroll. (you can only get the +1 attack from Claws if you have them as a pair. Same with power fists and thunder hammers)

Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:37 pm

Well that makes more sense, they would be nuts overpowered if they did double strength. I guess my Thunderwolves won't be much cop against tanks now, not unless rending affects tank armour as well and give me an auto pen.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:39 am

Bought a nice magnifying glass which has a built in stand so I can see the tiny details on the model better. It's a little strange to use, I like to bring my model very close to my face when I'm painting small details, so not being able to is really strange, I don't feel as though I have the skill to paint it that far away even though I can see twice as well. I'm getting used to it though.

I'm not nearly as far a lot as I'd like, today have been my best chance to paint and I've done next to nothing, I just couldn't motivate myself. My Grey Hunters aren't much further along really.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:02 am

My current to be done list. Probably actually longer, but many things are long forgotten in a box somewhere. Brings me much despair.

6 Ogryns. Cannot be motivated. Actually just add that line to every entry.
    7-8 vox operators. Which are pointless and I would never use. Just want some because they make squads look cool.
    3 gazilion (give or take) weapons teams. needs more lascannons
    24 kasrkin. Amazing models, I couldn't make the first 6 look good and so...yeah.
    Leman Russ Demolisher, is a tank, ugh. Hate painting them.
    Leman Russ. See above.
    Baneblade. HAH. it lost a headlight, sad face.
    4 sentinels
    8 half done psykers. painted red, do regret. cba to change it. And so they languish.
    Theres a little pile of half assembled metal models. Commissars, some ratlings, special weapons troopers, officers and prob some others. I did enjoy painting the 6 ratlings I have, Might dig the rest out.
    In the wardrobe are many unopened boxes.

I also need to add army badges to...everything. I don't want to use the cadian gate transfers. Want something fairly unique, though using the boring transfers would at least improve the currrent look I guess. No identifying marks whatsoever.

Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:44 pm

Wow thats a lot of stuff, how many points would your army be if you got all that together?

How do you find putting sentinals together, my friend hates doing it.

I bought the rule book today, they've actually stopped selling it I guess to get ready for the new one, though why they haven't taken the starter set off the website I don't know. Also alot of prices have gone up.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:10 am

Hmm so is a special character in a squad not protected any more? In my old rule book it basically said if there was another model within 6" of an HQ it takes the shot instead, and that HQ's can't be directly targeted in squads except by other HQs (And snipers), I've only just started reading about allocating wounds but it sounds like you put wounds on everyone in the squad, HQ or not.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:04 pm

Wound allocation will only hit things you don't want hit if they take huge number of hits. If you had a 5 man squad + character, you would have to take 6 wounds from a round of shooting before Bob the character got hit. Or you could even give wounds to him, as he can take more wounds, keeping the rank and file alive.

It looks complicated, but it's really not.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:25 pm

Ok I good, I guess it talks about characters wounds later on.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:58 am

I'm thinking of adding a rule to my blood claws to make them more realistic, basically if for whatever reason I'm holding them back, hiding them behind cover or whatever I have to roll a dice to decide if they ignore my order and move directly towards the enemy pretty much giving them Rage but it being a dice roll to decide if they suffer from Rage or not, having a mentor attached to the squad will either mean they don't have to roll or they only get Rage on the roll of a 6.

I think the rule reflects their rash and sometimes unthinking aggression and willingness to get into combat.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:09 am

So do you not have to buy grenades any more? I was just looking in my codex and it doesn't have a cost for them, they are just listed in the wargear.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:00 am

Finished my second model! I've been painting this sod for most of the week, the last few days I've done little use but paint him, it's driven me mad. I've still got 7 more guys to go for this squad. A plasma gun guy should be finished over the weekend.

Here's his back, it was just the better photo:

Warhammer 40k - Page 5 Swback10

Here's the front, I didn't know it was blured until I got it only the PC, I'll take a good photo at a later point:

Warhammer 40k - Page 5 Swfron10
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:05 am

Had a go at painting the great companies design onto the shoulder pad of a test model this morning, I woke up with the idea that I could paint it on instead of using shitty decals. Take into account this was a 5 minute job and it was right after I had woken up, I could have spent more time fixing it up. It's also the first free hand thing I've painted onto the models, other than like scratch marks. And yeah the star is pretty crap but I just put that on to get an idea of the space needed.

Warhammer 40k - Page 5 Should10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content