The Ragol Arms

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Arms Ep III

Heading back to Ragol ? Maybe ..

4 posters

Dawn of War II Expansions

Fenon
    Fenon

Dawn of War II Expansions Empty Dawn of War II Expansions

Post by Fenon Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:44 am

There's a load of DoW 2 stuff coming out in just over a month, Retribution, Which has a Sister of Battle (Don't know if thats a game can't see a price for it) on the front and 6 other game packs each costing £29.99 and has a race on the cover, I'm guessing each one adds that race to the game, and for that price (£179.94) I would hope each one adds a lot of content.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Dawn of War II Expansions Empty Re: Dawn of War II Expansions

Post by Neo Chade Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:29 am

They are all the same game, but the different editions come with different wargear options for that race.
    I heard none of it is exclusive though, it will all be available as dlc at some point.
    DoW 2 rocks
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:44 am

I'm not a big fan of DoW 2, I don't think it's as good of a game as DoW. I haven't played it in a while, not since about the time it first came out and I've not got any of the expansions. I can't exactly remember what it was I didn't care for, I know it came out at the same time as Empire Total War which was also a huge disappointment. I've been tempted to try it again but I can't really be arsed with setting up the Live account thing, can't remember what user name I used, though I think I posted it one the old forums.

Is there any news about a DoW 3 yet?
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:11 pm

Steam has an offer on the Chaos Rising expansion, and other original DoW game/expansions till Thurday (The Thursday thats tomorrow) Chaos Rising is £9.99, you can get it on Amazon for £1 less so if you miss the offer I wouldn't worry yourself.

I thought I'd give DoW2 another chance, now that 2 years have passed and my angry has lessened a bit. I've played through the first 3 or 4 missions and I suppose it's actually an ok game, I'm a little concerned about how much replay you could get out of doing the missions, it has co-op which I don't remember when I played, maybe it was added in a patch. And the missions suit the way the real game is played, I guess.

The multiplayer is more like the old multiplayer, I don't remember what it was like 2 years ago.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:02 pm

Ok bought Chaos Rising, glad I didn't buy a boxed copy it seems that the large patch I downloaded infact included everything for Chaos Rising, buying it just unlocked the game. Granted buying the hard copy would mean less of a download next time I install it but it wasn't that big really, I mean a few gb's.

I'm not going to start playing it yet, I want to finish the first campaign, just incase there are any spoilers. The story in DoW2 is quite good and I've heard it's good in Chaos Rising as well.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:34 pm

The story is quite good. Pretty much all the plot missions are brilliant. In the first game the campaign lets you farm wargear, but it's just doing the same dull missions over and over, and the gear you get in chos rising is far far better than anything from the original. Most replaybility comes from doing something different with your squads in subsequent playthroughs. A ranged commander is hilarious fun. In terminator armour, with an assault cannon teleporting about, brilliant. Then having the dreadnaught with an assault cannon and catching whole legions of orks in crossfire and murdering them all.
    In chaos rising the story mode is a lot more linear, good in places, and not so good in others.

Been playing the retribution Beta. Imperial Guard are spot on. All the squads are pretty pathetic, but you get a bunch of funky tools to blast everything to smithereens. And hilariously bad voices, and British accents. Elder are mostly the same, The Autarch doesn't do whole lot but he useful and buffs your troops. Space Marines get a land raider which is pure evil. It reinforces squads, has crap loads of hp, and oozes firepower. Gonna try Tyranids soon. Choas and Orks don't really interest me.

Multiplayer DoW2 is far better than DoW1 imo
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:25 pm

I suppose not having to build a base reduces micro management and lets you focus on the battle. I hope that it reduces the length of online battles, I got bored and wanted to loss when I played online with yourself on DoW multiple bases and taking resource points which you can't defend all of, there were too many and you have too few troups to do it, lead to near endless battles.

Do you still have the game installed?
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:13 pm

Ofc, I play skirmish v the cpu loads. I love it.
    Online not so much. Not a fan of 1v1, prefer 3v3 but then it generally comes down to a team of 3 slaughtering the pug 3. Or some idiot with a crap pc joins, and it's .5fps city.

Online games are generally quick. Control Area is the only one that tracks stats iirc and it can't really stalemate. Unless I suppose neither side captures points. Which would be odd.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:27 pm

What about co-op campaigns ever do them?
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:29 pm

I've never played the campaign co op

Just went on for a quick head to head, and won. Rawr.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:40 pm

Ah well in that case we'll have to give it a go, my gamer tag is Fenight. It was Gunrick but I can't remember what e-mail address I used for that, the usual ones didn't work.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:23 pm

The FUUUUUUUU--- the game crashed twice at the exact same spot, on the mission with that large gate thing. just after the video showing the gate and the red eyes in the sewer. In the ingame intro just after when she says the base defences fail 20 minutes ago. I'm thinking this might have happened when I played on my laptop as well but I'm not completely sure, might be another game and same type of thing happened. Going to try and skip past her talking, otherwise I'm fecked.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:48 pm

Don't know why it didn't work those 2 times but it's ok now. Just did Angels Gate, I got over run at the end of the try when I skipped the intro. All my guys died, so I did all of the other missions to level up and then when I tried again this time I spread my troups out and put down turrents in a wide spread, this time it was completely easy.

One problem I have is that on missions where its raining I find it easy to loss sight of my curser, happens of other missions as well but more often of rain missions. So when there's a lot going on I sometimes have to stop paying attention to the battle to try and find the damn curser.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:33 pm

Odd, never had any problems like that. Most likely a graphics driver issue. Usually is.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Oh for goodness sake, I'm near the end of the game now, all my squads are maxed out, but I've been flooded with expiring optional mission, which I know I could ignore, but damn it we don't have the technology any more to build the arrays etc. I don't want to loose them anyway I want to keep the perks they give. I've got so many expiring mission that I can't do the main missions, as soon as I've cleared all the one day remaining missions a day has passed and there are more 1 day remaining missions.

I'm going to start skipping ones which aren't defence missions or I'm never going to finish this game.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:55 am

You really don't need the perks for the last mission. Unless you really want wargear best to just ignore them. The last mission is insanely easy anyway.
    DarkShroud
    DarkShroud

Post by DarkShroud Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:12 pm

Strangely enough I just bought the DOW2+Chaos Rising pack on steam. Decided it was about time I gave it a serious go.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:17 pm

How are you finding it? Did you have DoW1?
    DarkShroud
    DarkShroud

Post by DarkShroud Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:37 pm

Only done the first few missions on the original campaign and i'm quite enjoying it. I'd played the beta when it first came out and was dubious since they moved away from the base system. Since then though i've played other strategy games and kinna opened up to it a bit more. Got all the DOW 1 stuff and still prefer it but enjoying DOW2 so far anyway.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:56 pm

I had almost forgot how much of a ball ache this was on Primarch. I reckon my marines would all be better of without the power armour for all the good it does them.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:49 pm

My squad is all in terminator armour and I'm using the dreadnought, so the cover system is now completely pointless for me since it breaks when my guys go near it. I'd stopped using anyway a while ago for the most part.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:12 am

The dreadnaught is nothing but a liability on Primarch. It gets insta gibbed by far too much.
    Terminator armour is so hit and miss on primarch difficulty.
    Thaddeus is a beast in it, but he still has the lowest hp of all the squads and dies rather quick.
    Force commander is usually worth putting it on. Although you do lose some good accessories.
    Tarkus suits termintor armour well but staying in cover beats terminator armour protection everytime, and Tarkus is already mostly immune to suppression with tactical advance anyway so that benefit is lost. And he loses grenades, which he can get as energy using ability, and grenades are great.
    Never tried Avitus in it, have to spend too much on hp to get it.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:19 pm

I see Neo and a couple of others playing this (games for windows shows up on xbox live) To me it looks like any other RTS, I’ve got C&C deluxe with all it’s expansions to satisfy that need, What’s DOW2 got that makes it stand out form the RTS crowd?

I’m a complete Warhammer n00b, (apart from Space Halk) Convince me that I need to add this to my ever growing list of must play games. pirat
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:29 pm

It has kick ass kill animations, the characters and story are involving and fully fleshed. You don't know about Warhammer 40K so saying that it is a faithful and accurate adaptation is pointless but it is. It has RPG elements in the game as well. It's a down and dirty, chunky manly RTS. But mostly it's just damn fun.

It's one of the best RTS's on the PC.

Did some co-op campaign with Mia and that was a lot of fun, you can't skip cutscenes though, which is ok because they are excellent.

Get the game you won't regret it. (If you do then HA too bad you can't return it now sucker!!)
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:43 pm

Fenon wrote:It has kick ass kill animations, the characters and story are involving and fully fleshed. You don't know about Warhammer 40K so saying that it is a faithful and accurate adaptation is pointless but it is. It has RPG elements in the game as well. It's a down and dirty, chunky manly RTS. But mostly it's just damn fun.

It's one of the best RTS's on the PC.

Did some co-op campaign with Mia and that was a lot of fun, you can't skip cutscenes though, which is ok because they are excellent.

Get the game you won't regret it. (If you do then HA too bad you can't return it now sucker!!)

HA! Nice try at hiding the small print!Razz

Fenon wrote:
    Get the game you won't regret it.
    Bet I will.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:47 am