The Ragol Arms

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Arms Ep III

Heading back to Ragol ? Maybe ..

2 posters

Onlive

Visage
    Visage

Onlive Empty Onlive

Post by Visage Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:21 am

http://www.onlive.co.uk/

I have seen the future, this was only launched yesterday, and you need a resemble line speed, BUT I bought Dues Ex Human Revolution for Just £1 (Special offer for the first few weeks to get the punters in.)

I first did a half hour trial of Borderlands as I know how that’s supposed to work, and yep all the game play was there it even recognise I had a controller plugged in, but the graphics were a bit off, But I thought what the heck Dues Ex for a quid even with dodgy graphics.

Unfortunately my line speed isn’t up to it only 4meg, but DuesEx is still very playable but it looks like PS2 or worse with flat textures and fuzzy visuals, I even get a warning when starting up that my line speed isn’t up to the job.

Now heres the thing! At work I’ve 6.5meg and a crap computer with only onboard graphics but…..

It runs faultless the difference is immense lovely crisp visual and full of detail, probably on a par with the 360 and you don’t need a fancy computer to run it.

So that proves if you have the line speed this is worth looking at, you can even get Wrhammer Space Marine for £1 until October.

Gona bring a wired controller into work. Cool
    Fenon
    Fenon

Onlive Empty Re: Onlive

Post by Fenon Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:46 am

It's an interesting concept, I think it's more useful to people that don't have good PC's or can't afford them but still want to play the latest games. Makes the PC more accessible as a gaming platform, and less of an elitest, "What you don't have the latest £1000+ PC, piss off you don't belong here" machine. I think it's true though that it is unlikely that Onlive will ever have as good graphics/preformance as a powerful PC, I wonder what it's like playing online with it, I mean if you are having the graphics streamed to you as well is it going to affect playing online, and it will be a return of not begin able to use the phone while gaming online, or the kids watching Youtube videos. Can more than one person per household play using Onlive if the internet connection can barely handle one person doing it.

I thought this service had been going for a few years now, I'm sure I've seen people say they use it. I remember someone on the Total War forums asking if Shogun 2 would be on Onlive.

I think it's a bit too early for this system to really take off at least in the UK, unless we get another major internet speed upgrade.

Is the gameplay like watching a video? I imagine that it's more like a live video stream, you send commands to their computer thats running your game and they send the video of it back to you. Surely there is a delay between button presses and movement.

Thanks for giving this a try Vis, I haven't trusted other people that have spoken about it.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:59 am

No delay at all with input, I believe its only one account per household, it was the uk launch yesterday and BT have a stake in the company so expect to see them pushing it.

I forgot to say you can watch other people playing there games, that a very good way of seeing what game play is like if your undecided about getting it, and it’s free to sign up and play the half hour trials.

Try it you don’t need a credit card to sign up, all you do is download the client then sign in.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:01 pm

Ah the only down side and it could be a biggun… it will eat your usage if it’s limited.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:36 pm

Fairly sure I have unlimited usage, not that that means much they will limit your usage even if it is unlimited if you use it too much. At least thats what I heard on a Gadget show campaign to make internet providers tell the truth.

I usually just use Youtube when I want to know what a game is like so being able to watch others playing isn't that big of a deal to me, it's kind of cool that you can watch friends playing without them needing to record and upload, people that live stream on JustinTV might adopt it. I'm guessing it's a choice what you show and what you don't.

I'm not sure about the whole thing yet, I don't really want to be making more accounts for stuff either if I can help it. I might look into the whole thing a bit.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:56 pm

Well my lunch break will never be the same again.

Just been watching someone playing Mafia 2 it looked as pretty as I remember but without as much debary flying about, the same with batman, then watched someone playing Space Marines and kinda wished I’d spent my quid on that. Also saw someone playing Boarderlands really badly, I wanted to yell instructiond at them. Mad

Played a bit of DuesEx but I’m lost on a keyboard and couldn’t find a way to bring up the key mapping.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:18 am

Had a much better connection at home tonight, might have been something to do with an update I got when first logging on, managed to play DuesEx for a couple of hours full screen on the big telly, looked like an early 360 game nothing outstanding there were low level reflections and shadows going on, and it ran smooth. not bad for a quid.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:08 pm

Its a bit quiat so I thougt Id post something tongue

I’m still mighty impressed with this, Plusnet has now set Onlive as priority traffic so my connection has got a bit better, it’s still not as good as actually having the real thing it can look a bit blotchy on a big screen the same way video does when its streamed, but play it windowed or on a laptop and you don’t notice so much.
    Also usage isn’t as bad as I first feared, last night I did half hour trials of Alpha Protocol, (yes I know I’ve just bought it on steam but I wanted to see what it looked like) Assassins Creed Brotherhood, and the original DuesEx, then this morning checked my usage and it was 1.53 GB so that’s about 1GB an hour and I get it free after midnight so that suits me.

This is the future for casual gaming, in 5 years this will creep into most homes like the Wii has. If Im wrong then I’ll eat my pink boots! cyclops

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:19 am