The Ragol Arms

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Arms Ep III

Heading back to Ragol ? Maybe ..

2 posters

My Nephew wants to buy a new PC BUT.

Fenon
    Fenon

My Nephew wants to buy a new PC BUT. Empty My Nephew wants to buy a new PC BUT.

Post by Fenon Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:42 am

He only has £300. I think £500 is about minimum for a PC that does what he's wanting, it's for gaming. He wants to be able to play Crisis 2. I don't think he knows anything about the inside workings of a PC. I'm thinking that I'll give him some money towards it, because I know how soul destroying buying a PC can be, you find one you can afford and then when you start adding things like OS's and internet security the price just flies up.

I'm not very good at keeping costs down on a PC, I mean mine was supposed to only cost £500 and it ended up at £1300 (Did peek at nearly £2000 at one point till I toned it down).

They have a PC at the moment but it's really bad, I doubt there are any parts they can save from it. They might be able to use the monitor, keyboard and mouse. I don't know what OS they have or internet security but they might be able to transfer that over, I don't think they intend to keep the old PC.

Do you guys have any suggestions for what he should get. I don't think he will want to build it himself but I may offer to help with that if needs be.
    Visage
    Visage

My Nephew wants to buy a new PC BUT. Empty Re: My Nephew wants to buy a new PC BUT.

Post by Visage Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:20 am

I'll tot mine up without the media stuff and see what it came to.

Has he already got a good screen? no point playing class game on a 15"
    Visage
    Visage

My Nephew wants to buy a new PC BUT. Empty Re: My Nephew wants to buy a new PC BUT.

Post by Visage Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:08 am

Dont think this will help, it's probably best to build from scratch.

@ today’s prices

Acer Aspire M3910 Desktop, Core i3-540 3.06GHz, 3GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVD-RW, Intel HD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit £356.00 currently unavailable.
    Equivalent with i3-550 3.3GHz 500gbHD & Windows 7 around £400.00
    for i5’s add at least another £100

Kingston DDR3 2GB 1333MHz i5 Memory Module CL9 1.5V £17.00
    That brings me up to 5GB have at least 4. but 6GB would be ideal.

Corsair 500W CX Series PSU £45.00
    The desktops come with poor PSU’s I think mine was 280W! You will need to put a better power unit in of at least 500W if you want to power a good GPU. But don’t skimp get a well known brand.

Gigabyte GTX 460 OC2 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini HDMI Out PCI-E £155.00
    You can get other makes of 460’s for around £125 now, I wouldn’t go lower than a 460 and I’d stick with the 1GB.

Arctic Cooling Arctic F9 Pro TC CPU Cooler £5.35 nice little fans these check em out, the cooling is going to be your biggest problem as there usually isn’t much room in these prebuilt towers.

You could probably do that for around £600

I can also recommend this screen LG W2261VP 22 inch LCD Monitor 16:9 DVI HDMI - Black £133.00
    One of my best purchases of the year very crisp blacks and good contrast.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:21 am

I'll read through that properly later need to use the loo in so many ways right now. Thanks for the reply though.

He has a crappy monitor, I doubt it even goes to 1280 by 720 but when he can afford to upgrade he will.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:08 am

I looked on ebuyer and made a bit of a list the other day just trying to get a cheap pc. Here's what I have so far with a few changes to take into account suggestions.

AMD Athlon II X3 450 3.2GHz Socket AM3 95w 1.5MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor - £54.10

Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3 AMD 770 Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard - £57.46

OCZ 500W Mod XStream Pro PSU - 2x PCI-E 6x SATA - £57.59 (Recommended would have gone with the XFX Pro 450W Core Edition if ebuyers had that)

Seagate 500GB 3.5" Barracuda SATA-III 6Gb/s Hard Drive - 7200RPM 16MB Cache - £31.13

LiteOn iHAS224 24x DVD±RW DL RAM & Lightscribe SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black - £14.49

Casecom 6788 Black Mid Tower Case with Full Black Interior/Exterior 120mm Blue LED Front Fan - No PSU - £28.71 (I've done no research into this case, it may not be suitable)

Kingston 2GB (2x1GB) DDR3 1333MHz i5 Memory Kit CL9 1.5V - £14.01 (Was going with G Skill but they were twice as expensive)

Sapphire HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card - £91.98 (Cheaper than the 460's on ebuyer don't know how it stacks up against the 460 I should maybe research that, if it's worse I'll change it to a 460)

Total with free delivery = £349.48

I have no idea how good this PC will be...

I think my nephew is wanting to beer mat the other stuff he needs to have a working pc.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:26 am

First of all well done for coming in at that price it looks quite reasonable.

The reason I chose the 460 or have a preference for Nvidia is for the built in PhysX , the AMD cards have a problem implementing that, games like mafia 2 wouldn’t be the same without it, for me it makes a big difference to the visual immersion.

Your going to need at least 4GB of ram to get playable fps on games like Crysis 2.

I had a look at that chip, unfortunately the most current Toms Hardwear charts are from last year so I could only compare like for like form last years equivalent.
    The first review on ebuyer did sound promising I can see why you went for it, but then the revues tail off a bit.
    From what I can tell it’s not as efficient as the one I’m running, despite mine only having 2 cores although mine does have another 2 virtual cores and a 4mb cache so that probably helps a bit, but it’s a bit expensive at £80.

It’s all about bullet proofing for the next year or so, it might play Crysis 2 on resemble settings but should there be a Crysis 3 it could struggle.

Or there is always the other option ……. Play Crysis 2 on a console.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:45 am

Ooops I did mean that to be 2x2gb of RAM, usually it's sold in pairs, that explains why it was so much cheaper... Add another £14.01 to the price.

I think mostly he wants to be able to play Minecraft well on the PC and Crysis 2 is more of a perk, I thought I'd try and aim for him being able to play Crysis 2 rather than to just play Minecraft.

(Shit I just got a flash of green bars on my PC I hope nothings going wrong, had something like that a few times when playing Forsaken World I thought it was a bug with that)

He also just needs a new PC, his current PC hardly works.

If he doesn't have much guff it might be best that he doesn't have Phyx, it might give him less FPS. I don't know how much of a strain Phyx causes.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:01 pm

Fenon wrote:If he doesn't have much guff it might be best that he doesn't have Phyx, it might give him less FPS. I don't know how much of a strain Phyx causes.

Yeah good point it can eat up the fps a bit.

If it's mainly Minecraft then I'd go for it, it's more than good enough.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 pm