The Ragol Arms

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Arms Ep III

Heading back to Ragol ? Maybe ..

2 posters

The Witcher 2 is coming out in a few days.

Fenon
    Fenon

The Witcher 2 is coming out in a few days. - Page 2 Empty Re: The Witcher 2 is coming out in a few days.

Post by Fenon Fri May 20, 2011 11:44 am

I think that was a Minecraft bug though because it stopped after an update to Minecraft, and a fair few other people had the problem. Same with Mass Effect there were posts about other people having the problem and it being because the game is old and doesn't work well with newer cards. But so far I'm not finding anything about people blue screening with the Witcher 2.
    Fenon
    Fenon

The Witcher 2 is coming out in a few days. - Page 2 Empty Re: The Witcher 2 is coming out in a few days.

Post by Fenon Fri May 20, 2011 11:05 pm

Ok well back to the older driver and uninstalled 3D vision again and I've got past the part I had a few blue screens on so I'm hoping it's fixed, have to wait and see though.

This games world is amazing, not just the way it looks but the levels of depth in everything is stunning. There are day/night cycles and when it's night time there are guards who walk around town with a touch lighting other torches to light the town up. You can use your Witcher powers to put out the torches and then when the guard notices he will go back and relight it, now this isn't just a cool detail it also plays a part in the gameplay, there are stealth missions, you can either put out the torches to sneak past guards or you can use them to lure guards to you and fight them. I sadly haven't had chance to really test the stealth gameplay because I got to that section and had massive performance problems and all I could really do was fight and not every well. There are old saves I could go back to but I think it would damage the immersion a bit.

This game is hard, and the hints that pop up at the start are difficult to read and don't stay up for long, at least I don't remember them being up long. I didn't know how to use potions for a very long time. Having said that I'm quite glad that it doesn't actually, I'm sick of games completely stopping the game to tell you something really simple like use WASD to move around. Having built my own game I know that very very few people read the instructions or text that pops up, so I can see why they make it so intrusive but you know, screw the people that can't think for themselves.

This may be one of the most beautiful games I've ever played, it's amazing. The far off background has an effect that makes it look like a fairy tale. I'm not sure if thats the best way to describe it but I can't think of a better way right now. There are just so few bad things I can think to say about it, graphically the only things I've seen that are not so good is one womans face being a little iffy, but some people do have iffy faces in real life. and two slight over laps with layers, a fat guys belt went into his belly and there was a tiny bit of skin on another guys head that came through his bandana. But most other games have way more problems with layers and faces than that. The performance problems are really bad, but that could be more to do with Nvidia, I don't know.

I wasn't expecting to really like this game but I do, it's way better than Mass Effect, ME is a very good game but this is just so much better in every way, so far anyway. I don't really want to compair it to ME because they are in two different setting's but I've not played Dragon Age. Lewis from the Yogscast said the same thing as I was thinking this game is like that TV series Game of Thrones, quite a good time to release the game, the same time as that series is on, I doubt it was intensional. I think there is a good chance this will come out on consoles, there is a wheel menu which looks designed for an analog stick, you can use controllers to play this game as well.

I'm going to go back to playing and hoping that I don't see any blue.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Fri May 20, 2011 11:22 pm

Picked it up tonight from Morrisons for £22, it's the same version as steam with all the tat except it's real tat i can hold and sniff and berry my face in and go Wibbly! wibbly!...... Nice things, fast install, doesn't require a disk in the drive to play and........ It auto detected HIGH!! done nothing yet except run around a bit , but it's nice and smooth giving me about 35 to 40 fps in the open. AND... it's compatible with 360 controller with icons & all!! cheers
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sat May 21, 2011 12:05 am

Don't play this game with your kids around there are no swear words they won't say. Yeah even the forbidden C word. The songs NPC's sing are really awful but very funny sometimes. It is refreshing to play a game with a 18 rating that really deserves one, but like I've said before it doesn't feel gimmicky or just there to get contriversal attention, it's natural. The characters are usually slimmy and the kind you would expect to use that language, there's no emphasis on it they just say it naturally, I'm not that keen on swearing really but I've not been offend by any language.

No problems yet since roll backing and removing 3d drivers, I've even turned the ubersampling on, don't really know what it does but it's suppose to be for sli and crossfire rigs. I think it's some kind of more advanced anti-alias. Hold on I'll google...

Some guy on a forum:

When ubersampling is enabled The Witcher 2 will render every frame several times and than re-interperate them into one frame. The most noticable difference is that textures will be a bit smoother and have a bit less noise. I found it is most noticable on skin.

Actually forget the ubersampling it cuts the frame rate from 60 to 20 at best. I didn't notice much slow down, nothing that hindered gameplay but still it's needless. Maybe in a later patch or driver update it will become more usable.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Sat May 21, 2011 2:41 am

It's growing on me, at first I thought meh just another dungeon crawler, but I'm getting into it now, but the worst thing and it's quite shocking really considering this being a high profile game, and that's not having the ability to jump, even a small curb presented an invisible wall forcing me to go around, I thought we had moved on from that kind of game mechanics.

Aw well at least it runs well, gives me hope for Skyrim.

My settings:
    The Witcher 2 is coming out in a few days. - Page 2 Witcher2setttings
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sat May 21, 2011 9:55 am

Yeah there should always be a jump button, I've not felt the lack of it as much as I did playing Mass Effect, maybe thats because playing ME got me used to not having it. No actually I think it's because ME has a lot of little ledges that are only like half a foot high and not being able step onto them is a joke, even more so since quite often the game would get a bug where I get knocked over that invisible barrier and I would be stuck on a tiny ledge not able to step down. I've not noticed the little ledge thing at all with the Witcher 2 I only had a passing thought that I couldn't jump.

Your game won't look much different to mine with those settings, all you are missing really is that sometimes at a certain angle a characters face will glow like the sun because of the blasted bloom.

I registered my game online today pretense of free Troll DLC, I only found Polish language DLC...
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Sat May 21, 2011 10:21 am

I alwase turn bloom off in games, can't stand that affect it never looks right to me.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sat May 21, 2011 10:50 am

I agree, I don't much like bloom, in Empire Total War it made all the soldiers that had white on glow like a light bulb, so thats potentially over 2000 men glowing like light bulbs. It looked so stupid, it's not as bad in this, like I said just the faces sometimes.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sat May 21, 2011 12:47 pm

I don't know if I'm doing it wrong but I'm finding this game soooo hard. I get my butt completely kicked 90% of the time. I'm guessing I'm either a low level for the area or I'm supposed to use an item or skill. I'm playing it on easy and I've also bought the best gear that I can, but these damn scorpion things just destroy me in their groups. It would be nice to have a party with me, I guess that might be what I need.

Also still no blue screen, I think it was because of the Nvidia Beta drivers. It didn't happen before I used it, and it hasn't happened since. Had no problems at all actually since I went back to the old ones and removed the 3d vision drivers.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sun May 22, 2011 1:02 am

Balls after a long absence the blue screen problem is back, I'm soo happy...
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Sun May 22, 2011 2:36 am

Try reducing texture memory, if you have 1mg on your gpu it should be set to large.
    this is what the "read me" file says:

-Texture memory size: sets the amount of graphics card memory allocated to textures. Larger values will decrease the amount of streaming that occurs in game and will make the game run more smoothly, but they can also cause the graphics card to run out of memory and even result in game crashes. Choose a reasonable value based on the amount of memory available on your graphics card.

btw have only just reached chapter 1, but have now got AA on and LOD set to far, I gained a few fps by uninstalling the 3d vision driver set,(I don't need it anyway), so am now able to play this almost maxed, looks amazing and glad to say I've not come up against any more invisible walls.

I don't get why its running so well, there are people out there with 580's and i7's who can't get above 20fps Shocked I nearly didn't get this because I thought I'd get a slide show.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sun May 22, 2011 8:44 am

Given my experience if they are only getting 20 fps I would say they have Ubersampling on, I got between 10 and 20 fps with it on. It's really for people with sli or crossfire.

Thanks, I'll reduce the texture size to large and see what happens. It crashed last night when I was spamming enter to make bombs.

I don't think you are that far behind me, I've really not got far in the game. Partly because of the crashing, but also just fiddling around with stuff and getting my butt kicked.

Did you find the Assassin's Creed easter egg by the way? I think this is the first easter egg I've ever found, well at least one that I realised was an easter egg or one that I found out about on Gamefaqs and searched for.

Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Sun May 22, 2011 10:08 am

LoL yes I found it but thought it was a murdered nun. Very Happy
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Mon May 23, 2011 8:59 pm

Damn ok game crashed again on large, I've set it to medium no crashes yet but that means nothing. I've heard it suggested that it could be because my PC is overclocked, I'm not going to attempt to undo the overclock.

Anyway I've finally made it to Act 2. I failed one Quest in Act 1 because I think you need a piece of DLC to do it and I don't have that DLC but it's supposed to be free. I registered my game but I haven't been able to log into the Witcher 2 website, I don't know if you need to log in to get the DLC. I think I like the location of Act 1 more than Act 2 but it's different.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Mon May 23, 2011 10:29 pm

I can't even register the game it wont let me input the text were you need to put your details. and I wanted the troll dlc.

There is another patch coming, amongst other things it's supposed to prevent the game crashing.

I'm not over the moon about it at the moment, I think the the press the displayed button when the icon shows for action and fist fights is a bit 90's, the sward fights are tedious, and there is to much going on that refers to the previous one, it seams to assume you have a knowledge of what went on before.
    Mind you I'm a bit slow to warm up to these things I didn't think much of Dragon Age but ended up with over 100 hours logged, and that was before I tried alternate endings.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Mon May 23, 2011 10:47 pm

I'm not sure if it's referring to the first game or some other history that is for whats happening in this game. I'm pretty happy with everything myself (Except the crashing), picking up loot is a hassle, and the quick time fist fighting is ok, I would like it to have been a bit less predictable, but I don't know maybe it's more random on harder settings. The sounds are a little confused as well, my characters footsteps were the sound of walking on mud when I was in a tent with carpets and wooden weapons make the sounds of swords when drawn. NPC can get a bit annoying, they say the same things over and over again sometimes, "Can girls be Witchers too?" "Can girls be Witchers too?" "Can girls be Witchers too?" "Can girls be Witchers too?" "Can girls be Witchers too?" "Can girls be Witchers too?". Also the kids that follow you around will sometimes block your way back out of an area.

It appears to have crashed again on medium (I had the channel changed and when I came back it was at the start in safe mode screen), I don't think thats the problem. I was hoping the new area would help the game not to crash as it's more open than the forest.

Do you know about insane mode? If you die in that mode, thats it game over, you can't use your saves you need to start from the beginning of the game. I love that idea, I'm going to give it ago on another playthrough, I doubt I'll get far.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Tue May 24, 2011 12:23 am

I've found something which may stop me from ever moving forward in the game until I'm poor.

Feature spoiler nothing to do with the story, you should find it not too far into Act 2. I don't want to ruin the joy for you when you find it.

Spoiler:

Have you tried playing Dice Poker by the way? I tried once and I was quite confused by the dice. I thought it was Liar Dice, which was really fun in Red Dead. I suppose I should look in the manual for a guide to playing.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Tue May 24, 2011 9:46 am

Ah so there being no free DLC is a bug with the launcher, I see should be fixed in the next patch, good. I also see that the problem I had with the 0 and O was also a bug and some people have had problems with 1 and I for the same reason. Well the Troll DLC fix will come a bit late for me, but at least I'll have something new to do in my next playthrough.

Also my security had the game down as restricted instead of trusted, I sometimes hear a noise when the game starts and I found a warning from my security about the game, I've heard that happens. Don't know if it has anything to do with the crashing, seems unlikely but still. I've set the game to trusted now.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Tue May 24, 2011 1:26 pm

I’m half way through downloading….. The Witcher (first one): Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut, from GoG. Com for………. £3.18!!

Posted April 14, 2011
    The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut, the highly acclaimed RPG by CD Projekt RED, will come to GOG’s storefront with tons of exclusive free goodies on May 10th for a regular price of $9.99--but we're offering a special discount in commemoration of The Witcher 2 coming to GOG.com. The game will be available at a 50% discount from May 10 until May 24, and will cost only $4.99!

The offers finished now and its back to $9.99 but after converting to pounds that’s still less than £6.50

Oh and they take Paypal too.

Never heard of Gog before but a lot were referring to them on gfaq so I went and had a look, thougt it worth the risk for that price.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Wed May 25, 2011 1:13 am

I'll likely either just wait for it on steam or maybe look on amazon. After the PSN thing I'm not all that trusting of giving my details to internet so on and etc. Ok balls to buying it on Amazon, it's expensive on there.

I've reached that point in the Witcher 2 which I find in most RPG's, I've got so many different quests going on it's all a bit of a mess, and there are so many area's to explore. It's at the same time good because there's lots to do so if you get stuck on one thing you can move onto another and it's also a hassle because things like not wanting to mess up a quest by doing one that cancels older ones.

I feel a bit quilty rushing around in this game, I feel like I should be walking and looking at the beautiful game world. It all just looks sooooo nice, I'll be interested to see how different the game becomes based on your choices, I hope it's not a cosmetic difference like a character just says something slightly different than they do if you make completely different choices. Granted sometimes you can kill someone, but then who's to say the game won't just kill them anyway, so all that changes is how they die. Having a different set of quests would be nice, doing the same quests but having NPC's react to you slightly different would make playing through more that twice boring. I could google or use the guide thats in the game box to find out, but I don't want to get hit by a spoiler.

I have used the guide twice, once to find out how to kill an enemy that I wasn't even hurting to see if I needed a certain item to kill them (Turns out I just wasn't strong enough) and the other time to try and work out if the Troll DLC quest was working, the things that should activate the quest weren't there. I wish they didn't put the guide in the box, there is a huge temptation to look through it when I faff about with the stuff in the box.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Wed May 25, 2011 10:19 am

*Cough* Ok my PC just blue screened while I was watching an online video. I had the games launcher up because I just stopped playing the game.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Wed May 25, 2011 1:24 pm

Amazing I just learnt to play dice poker and nearly made a dwarf cry in a funny bit of dialog. Dice poker is no where near as good as normal poker, it's a very shallow game, there's no bluffing or wondering what the other person has, you can clearly see what they have. Red Dead's side games were much better, still they didn't need to put them in and they are still good and different.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Wed May 25, 2011 1:37 pm

Aye you must get the first one, I already understand more about Geralt after about an hour of fiddling about getting a controller configured, (not that it’s needed I’m just lazy) than I did in playing about 4 hous or so in the latest, and some of the characters in the second are there right at the start of the first one and that alone puts his relationship with them into perspective, there is also a nice cgi movie at the beginning that gives you an instant understanding about who or what he is.

The game play is completely different it took me by pleasant surprise, you can control everything by mouse only if you wish with a top down point and click interface that reminded me of Baldur’s Gate type games, or you can use a mix of both and use a third person view with w,a,s,d though I found combat a bit awkward in third person.

The attention to detail of the world around you is just as good as the new one, Geralt isn’t as refined he kind of slides along some times, but the story telling is very good, and hooked me in very quickly, unlike the second one where I didn’t really understand why I was helping the King in the first place.

Question is do I play through the first and import my character data, or carry on with the second now I’ve a better idea who he is.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Wed May 25, 2011 1:46 pm

As for security on that gog site I used a new gmail address and I paid via Paypal so I should be safe.

And the game was listed as Windows 7 64 compatible witch it was, I had none of that compatibility nonsense that I‘ve read about from windows 7 users trying to get it running.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Wed May 25, 2011 1:53 pm

Here is the intro movie.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 am