The Arms Ep III

Heading back to Ragol ? Maybe ..

Minecraft.

Visage

Re: Minecraft.

Post by Visage on Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:55 pm

lol! @ spooky keyboard Very Happy

I think dark areas were causing my spawn problem, I was digging up to make an exit at the other side of the large hill I'm calling home, and left a lot of the passage in the dark.

Post by Fenon on Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:04 pm

That will be it, I've had problems outside of my home in the cave, monsters spawn around the entrance to my house I thought I had explored all around it but there were some hidden dark spots over head.

I made a house in that large room I spoke of earlier, I have no idea where it is now... I'VE LOST MY HOUSE!!!

Man my key board goes nuts when the batteries are low, it inverted my arrow keys this time as well, it hasn't done that before it usually messes with the touch pad. I never know whats going to happen with the bloody thing.
    Fenon

Post by Fenon on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:02 pm

Ha ok I got lost in my cave and somehow found my lost house, I dumped the 2 diamonds I found and the other stuff and went out to explore again, because I saw some iron on my way to the house, but I saw a dark passage on the way I went down it, I saw some fire and after a second thought, bloody hell monster spawner! But where are the monsters? I put a torch down near it and nothing spawned so I wondered if that was enough, but no a Skelleton spawned and I paniced a bit, but killed him then I put down 3 around the spawner and another spawned so I put down a forth which usually stops them from spawning, I screwed up and was killed by the one that spawned. I had no idea how to get back and by the time I managed to get lost and find the house again (And destroyed no doubt important land marks thanks to creepers) my stuff was gone. I looked through the boxes but I only had 1 and a half hearts so didn't pick any of it up I turned to leave and there was a little puff of smoke and a skelleton right in front of me, twang dead again. I'm going to destroy that spawner when I somehow manage to get back there!
    Fenon

Post by Fenon on Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:24 pm

Lovely I just thought that I could use the map editor I downloaded but decided not to use to find out where exactly I was in relation to the surface, turns out I'm under the deepest part of the sea. I was hoping to build a shaft upto the surface... There goes that idea.

The map editor is quite nice if you want to see how big your mine/cave is but there is a slight element of cheating with it in that you can see where the big caves are, I've not got the temptation to use it for that, right now I have way more than I can handle, it's almost like I've entered a whole new cave there are so many ways to go from this new lost house.

I've made a bed in that lost house as well so I don't need to find it again, the only problem is I don't know my way out. I have a fairly good sense of direction I would love to go into a cave/mine with some of the RA guys that get lost at the drop of a hat, you know who you are.

Oh, do you guys like the larger caves or do you like to clear them and move on. I like finding new branches to explore but I also wish they would just end so I can abandon them and move on with other things. The cave I've been in for the last week I guess was only supposed to be a small excursion from my main activities, now exploring it is all I do.
    Fenon

Post by Fenon on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:05 am

Visage

Post by Visage on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:41 am

This game has consumed all my free time this weekend, My sons also been playing and I was 40 minutes in before I realised he’d left it on peaceful, *face Rolling Eyes palm* But I’ve left it on as I‘ve started building a massive light house/ watch tower rising out of my hill and into the clouds.
    Quick question though can mobs still spawn in open high structures or should I keep it sealed all the way up?

Looking forward to the weather update, though I hope its not as frequent as in the video.

Post by Fenon on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:57 am

They said it was just that frequent for the purpose of the demo, it'll be rarer in the actual update. Spiders can climb walls but I don't think it's a problem if the building is high, I've not had a problem when I've built large open topped buildings.

I can see the future P.oppy finishes the light house in peaceful, turns the difficulty back up and walks outside, Creeper *BOOM* the bottom of the light house is gone.
    Fenon

Post by Fenon on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:45 am

Just found a crap load of clay, it's enough for 115 blocks of brick, I wanted to make my train station out of brick but didn't think I'd be able to find enough clay, now I think I can, problem is I might have enough for one station but I won't have enough to make the station at the other end out of brick. I think the most I've found before was 31 and that might have been from 2 places I'm not completely sure of that.

This whole dug out area was full of clay:

This is how much it gave me:

Fenon

Post by Fenon on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:51 pm

Just went to a place I found clay ages ago and marked to go back for it, I didn't pick it up then because I wasn't looking for it and was intending to die to get back home. One of the spots had way more clay than I thought it would, not much was showing but it went deep and some was hidden under sand, it even went into the sea which was a pain in the butt. When I bake it up and add it to all my other clay I should have 317 brick blocks altogether.
    DS9

Post by DS9 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:00 pm

i have some questions.

1. is it free ?
    2. what's the fascination with it ?
    3. can i run it on my shitty pc ?

Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:09 pm

1. No
    2. It's a sandbox game. You make your own little world. It's like Lego with a very weak game attached.
    3. Likely, it looks like a 1986 game.
    Fenon

Post by Fenon on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:47 pm

I guess you don't like it Mia.

The gameplay is a mixture of things. You can build things which is a lot of fun and there is a real thrill from surviving, it doesn't look like it but this game will make you jump and make your heart stop at just the sound of an enemy. The world is also randomly generated so you never know what you'll find when you are walking around and there is always somewhere to explore because the map is 8 times the surface of the earth (Your save file will get bigger as you explore). The look of the game at first is off putting but when you actually play the game it is charming and retro without feeling dated. The game is about around £10 or £15 whatever the exchange rate is, the game is priced in Euros.

Go onto their website Nine ( www.minecraft.net ) and download the Minecraft classic game which is free and see how well it runs on you PC, I would get the client since it should run better than the browser version (Scratch that you can only play in the browser, I just checked). It's like a completely different game from the one you pay for so you won't get an idea of the gameplay from it. I would think if you can play PSO you can play this but I would check to make sure, I can play this game maxed out on my old laptop.
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:02 pm

It's not that I don't like it. I would just never ever pay for what it is.

Fenon

Post by Fenon on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:39 am

Went on a little clay finding quest and this was my loot:

Here is the grand total of all of my clay and brick blocks, I'll have 749 brick blocks when it's all baked etc:

I've got 6 furnaces going right now to bake all of it, but maybe I should have done 8, hmmm.

If you are wondering how I found so much clay I used the map I made of my game and looked for the clay on it, and yes I searched with peaceful on, I think I would go completely mad if I died with all that clay on me.
    Fenon

Post by Fenon on Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:30 am

HE HE HE, went on another clay finding trip and I now have enough for 1398 brick blocks altogether, the game punished me a bit for hunting for clay and started putting it underwater which is a huge pain to get at. Got to start drawing up some plans for my stations now, I think I could even make some of the bridge out of brick if I wanted to now, but that would use up a huge amount and I like brick. I might use lava buckets this time to power my furnaces, I used up a lot of coal last time and lava lasts ages, bit of a waste of iron but I have a lot of that now.

Edit:

He's a view of my unfinished house from my unfinished bridge.

The structure is mostly finsihed on the outside, I need to add windows and I wand to add a pier going out into the sea to fish from, I also need to clear away a lot of the dirt from around the house and make the area surrounding it look better. Inside I just need to add a fire place, which I'll make out of brick and put down more carpet in the spare room (Incase I ever host this world online). I might make some paintings as well, the walls are quite bare.
    Visage

Post by Visage on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:19 pm

I had a look a servers they seam to be full of school kids.

How easy is it to open our worlds up to each other, obviously it would only be open when we are on, but is it possible? A bit like when we would visit each others rooms in psu.

Post by Fenon on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:28 pm

It depends, if you are using a wifi router it can be a pain in the arse because you have to do a thing called port forwarding there is a good guide on how to do it which even I could follow and I'm crap and using tutorials, I just got stuck at a password which I didn't know. Otherwise it's just a matter of using the multiplayer client (No idea what problems might come up trying to set that up, firewalls I'm guessing will have something to say about it) and giving out your ip address to the people you want to let join, you might want to also use the white list which lets only people you know enter the game, so nobody that happens to find your server can come on and cause naughtiness.
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:36 pm

Things you need for a minecraft server

- 1 hot pc, minecraft eats memory like a bitch.
    - 2 A wired connection. You don't really want your server prone to random disconnects/lag because a butterfly disturbed your radio signal.
    - 3 Good upload if you intend to have more than 2 people on. Ie not my shitty 1meg upload.
    - 4 someone who doesn't mind leaving there pc for a long time in this approaching summer weather.
    Fenon

Post by Fenon on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:06 pm

Vis's PC does well against might which is quite s**t hot. It doesn't need to be on all the time just when we intend to play which is usually at night anyway, whoever hosts just needs to make a topic which charts the times they are willing to host. but yeah I think I would fall down at the internet connection stage, mines not great and it's a bit unstable. Internet connections and hosting and bandwidth are areas I know nothing about.
    Fenon

Post by Fenon on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:12 pm

I'm sure there are servers which aren't just full of kids, maybe make a topic asking if there are any servers for more mature gamers, or search that forum for mature.

Mr.Nine did you try the classic game?

EDIT: Something is wrong with my brain, I wrote "funny" instead of "full", I do that kind of thing quite often.
    Fenon

Post by Fenon on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:46 pm

Vis you made the right choice getting Minecraft and not Fortresscraft, I just saw a video of that game for he first time and it looks awfull. The guy was holding a pick axe but you don't even use the pick axe, blocks just break when you highlight them with a glowing square thing and you can do it from a completely unrealistic distance. It's not even a scratch on the free Minecraft game let alone the pay version. The video suggested it would be improved with chapters like adding monsters, I'd be interested to see if they copy the creepers, I'm sure they will.
    Visage

Post by Visage on Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:52 pm

Fenon wrote:Vis's PC does well against might which is quite s**t hot. It doesn't need to be on all the time just when we intend to play which is usually at night anyway, whoever hosts just needs to make a topic which charts the times they are willing to host. but yeah I think I would fall down at the internet connection stage, mines not great and it's a bit unstable. Internet connections and hosting and bandwidth are areas I know nothing about.

My PC seams to do alright at the moment, but it wont be long before the quad cores will take over the world, but my boards upwardly compatible so I could be dropping a i7 in there next year Twisted Evil

I could probably host as I seam to tick all of those boxes I'm just not sure I want to go through the hassel and it's a bit of a security risk if you know what I mean, and this supposedly being the family PC (at least that's what I tell them, "Yes Dear this new graphics card is necessary to help the kids homework" Wink )

I'll have another look around for a server.

Fenon wrote:Vis you made the right choice getting Minecraft and not Fortresscraft, I just saw a video of that game for he first time and it looks awfull. The guy was holding a pick axe but you don't even use the pick axe, blocks just break when you highlight them with a glowing square thing and you can do it from a completely unrealistic distance. It's not even a scratch on the free Minecraft game let alone the pay version. The video suggested it would be improved with chapters like adding monsters, I'd be interested to see if they copy the creepers, I'm sure they will.

Aye I've got it on xbox, compered to Minecraft its awful but considering it was knocked up in a couple of months the guys done quite well, it has a charm about it my kid found a jetpack that makes making pixel art very easy, it still needs a LOT of work though as it's very buggy, I think the first patch is coming Friday.

Post by DS9 on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:40 am

Fenon wrote:

no i just thot sodit and got the beta so far all i did was chop some trees and build a mini fort yet somehow a bouncin pig still got in

ps. blimey is that the time

Darkstone

Post by Darkstone on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:08 am

DS9 wrote:
    Fenon wrote:

no i just thot sodit and got the beta so far all i did was chop some trees and build a mini fort yet somehow a bouncin pig still got in

....and so it begins.......
    Fenon

Post by Fenon on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:24 am

DS9 wrote:
    Fenon wrote:

You need to change the floor they spawn on grass.

(Another one lured into the Minecraft snare, next Bert and Shroud. Bri, and Mia will fall).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:03 am