The Ragol Arms

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Arms Ep III

Heading back to Ragol ? Maybe ..

3 posters

PSP its tempting me.

Fenon
    Fenon

PSP its tempting me. Empty PSP its tempting me.

Post by Fenon Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:10 am

Yeah thinking about getting one, at first I was like "ok there's a PSP Go, that looks quite nice. Oh cool its even more portable, wait there it doesn't have a UMD Drive... Whats a UMD Drive?" *Quick Google* "Oh crap, not sure if I like that, but wait I guess I wouldn't have to carry around games with me or loss them, then again I can't get second hand games and what if the PSN Store goes down, where will I get games for it, it will be completely useless" *Thinks* "Also its quite expensive, I want to buy a good HD TV soon and the 3DS is coming out in the too distant (For a gamer) but really not too distant future" *Some more thinking (Hours pass)* "Oh maybe the games will help me decide" *Searches games on the Game website* "Hmm not many RPGs" *Youtubes one of them (Dragoneer's Aria)* "Awww man I'm bored of this already, the voice acting is awful and its so boring, ah well I'll look up the FF7 Criss Core game thats one that I really want" *Youtube* "Ah... the real time combat, not the same turn based system as FF7, looks nice though" *Looks up more stuff but nothing really appeals* "Hmmm ok, well can I download games from the PSN store onto a PSP 3000, the PSP Go has an internal memory of 16gbs but the games appear to be 1.6gb or so, so I wouldn't be able to have more than 10 games on there at once, and it seems like the internal memory size is bigger on the Go than the 3000 if the 3000 can even hold digital games"

So I'm stuck I'm not sure if I should get a PSP and if I can decide that which to get. There are a few games I want, Assassins Creed Bloodlines, FF7 Criss Core, and a few others I can't remember.

Anyone with a PSP or PSP knowledge that can help me out with this? I'm thinking about getting it for when I fly over to germany to see my sister (/when I get bored over there).
    Visage
    Visage

PSP its tempting me. Empty Re: PSP its tempting me.

Post by Visage Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:56 pm

What hapened to buying no more games this year?
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 pm

Yeah I know, I don't really think of portable games as the same as normal games. But actually you bring up a point that I just came on to make, I think I'll get the Go because at least with that its small and I won't have any game packaging around. Which is why I said I wasn't going to buy more games, its not the cost its the lack of space made by having so many game boxes and consoles around, but the go is small and there will be no game boxes so I think it might be a good idea to get that, if I can find it cheap, I've seen them online pre-owned for £144 which is about £100 cheaper than completely new, however Play has an offer for 10 free games if you buy a new PSP Go from them, but I only have any interest in 2 of those games. Oh and I looked on the PSN Store and it says you only need 250mb or so space for a lot of the games.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:41 pm

My psp collection fits quite nicely on memory sticks /whistle

Any Psp is going to have more than enough space for any downloads. All of them use memory stick pro. Can get 16gb pro duo's, that makes any psp have the storage capacity of the go. Go can ofc double that, 16gb internal + 16gb stick.
    As for the go, yeah technically it's better, but on the other you are tied to sony's PSN pricing. Whereas if your psp can play umds, you are open to high street pricing which more often than not, is going to be cheaper. Although I have no idea how much games are on PSN. Ofc downloads don't have the physical space concern. Whatevers more important to you I guess. Just as I said, Go ties you to it, slim doesn't.
    Ultimately though my psp would of been dead to me a long time ago if it wasn't for cfw opening it up for emulators and the like, which afaik, no new psp's can run. As well as yarrr games etc. Only gets pulled out for Lumines and occassionally Patapon which just gives me the rage. Can't keep time at all.

Although I have little to no interest in the handheld market. Bought a ds and the psp at launch, upgraded both to lite and slim respectively. Both have been the least played consoles I have ever owned. So my info may be unreliable
    /end unhelpful post
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:46 pm

Ah ok so while the 3000 has no internal memory you can store games on memory sticks, does it come with one and wires to connect it up to the PS3 (I figure its easier to download games on the PS3 and transfer them)? The 3000 is bottom ugly (Edited myself for whoevers editing) and a video just showed that the Go has a feature that lets you pause the game at any point so you can do other things on the PSP Go and then go back to the game at that point, letting you kind of bypass games that have few and far between save points. A lot of the games seem to be a good price, £13.99 or so but there are some over priced ones £29.99, for some games that have been out for ages and aren't that good anyway.

I did lean towards the 3000 but I think I'm back to the Go again.

Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:02 pm

The slims uses standard mini usb cables for connectivity, ie that ones that all cameras I've owned use, the same one that charges the ps3 controller etc etc. Go uses it own cable, if that breaks you be screwed.
    Pause feature I have no idea about. Guess it's nice. Not really an issue for me.
    1/2" bigger screen on the slim, A bonus, maybe /shrug
    Go has bluetooth. Lets you use the ps3 controller I hear, but only if your connected to the ps3, in which situation why are you are you not playing the the ps3? Tethering to a mobile phone is a nice feature if you have cheap mobile internet.

I still recommend the slim, but thats just me. And it's really not that ugly. Go only looks good when it's closed up,otherwise it's as ugly as anythng else. If I wanted an item that looks good not being used, would get an ornamental clock.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:01 pm

I suppose its not overly ugly its just its too short and long, its like stephen merchant if he was lying down. Actually I think the smaller screen is better it has the same detail its just smaller so I think things will look better on it, though I have heard you sometimes get barring, and I might need to wear my glasses to see the small details and read text. I'm going to look on youtube to see if there are any reviews of the controls of the Go because I have quite large hands and so the small controls might be difficult, the analog stick so far over might be a pain, and the L and R buttons behing the screen. The DS's controls were worse though, FPS's had horrible controls where you had to break your hands to press all the buttons and use the touch screen, and the other problem with a touch screen is that your hand blocks part of the screen so you can't always see things. *Cough* anyway does the 3000 come with a memory stick? I don't know if you have a PS3, so you might not be able to answer this but do you use the same PSN account as your PS3 or do you need to make a second one? And I'm wanting to rent some movies from the PSN Store for a flight to Germany can I watch those on my PSP? I know the PSP can play videos trailers etc, but that doesn't mean that they've allowed you to do the movie rental thing on it and how much of a pain is it to transfer that movie onto the PSP. I don't really use Blue Tooth, so having that isn't really of any use to me.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:01 pm

You overestimate how much I've used the ps3 and psn. I've done three things on psn - I created an account, I downloaded the patapon demo and I downloaded Final Fantasy VIII as my disk version doesn't work on the ps3. Of course you use the same account PSN account for the psp as the ps3.
    I have no idea how easy it is to transfer movies over, I've never had to do it. I just always used the pc, converted a movie to a managable size and copied to the memeory stick with my laptops stick reader. Same with rentals, no idea if they let you copy them over. Didn't even know psn did rentals. I assume it just lets you copy them over, though no idea with the movie industry. They screw up everything with drm it really wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't let you. Although if they do differentiate, if it's only rental, just as well to buy them for the psp.
    With FFVIII I just selected it in the ps3's menu, plugged the psp into the usb, and copied it over. I assume it's as easy for anything else. Just had to check that, ps3's updates do take a loooong time.

One feature you may able to take advatage of if you have fast enough net at home and wherever you are holidaying. Remote play lets you play movies stored on your ps3 via the psp. Don't have to leave the ps3 on, it will listen for the psp connection, turn on and you get all your ps3's menu on the psp wherever you are. Is a nifty feature that I used for all of a week, my psp can't sign into psn anymore (not updated firmware for too long, don't need to and not going to break my cfw privelages). Was easier than ripping ps1 discs.

Having just booted up my ps3 for the first time in ages, I forgot how nice xmb is, all clean and has everything you need where you expect it. The 360's menu is atrocious, It's all one big BUY THIS NOW FOR A GAME YOU DON'T OWN, NEVER EVEN PLAYED, NOR DOES THE GME IN ANYWAY RESEMBLE THE OTHERS YOU APPEAR TO BE INTERESTED IN JUDGING BY GAME HISTORY - BUT WE ADVERTISE IT ANYWAY BECAUSE WE ARE MONEY HUNGRY COCKS Xbox marketplace can get ******
    My PSP constantly amazes me, it really should be more beatup than it is, and yets the screen is gouge (though not scratch) free and works fine.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:01 am

Damn ok I was just about set on the Go, but the video I just watched said the controls are bad, a lot of the stuff he said thats negative about the Go doesn't really concern me, and even some of the stuff about the controls because he was saying that the controls with PSone Classics were bad because of the lack of the PSone controllers buttons, but all PSP's have that problem. I just watched another video (While writing that last bit) which said the controls are good, however this was a review buy a woman and well they have much smaller hands. However maybe the guy doesn't have good hand dexterity, I do so maybe I'll be ok with it... If I did get a Go or even a 3000 I think it will have to be white, just because smudges and finger prints will really annoy me and I don't think they will show up as much on white.

Oh but wait sorry just looked this up because I think I heard that it can be done somewhere, you can use a PS3 controller on the Go. Now granted you can't really be expected to carry a PS3 controller around with you and also finding a place to put the PSP Go while you are using the controller is a problem. I don't really play games that much while I'm out, I don't with the DS because frankly I can't see anything on the screen (I have the first DS the Phat one), so it'll mostly be used when I'm inside staying somewhere or at home, maybe for like 5 minutes at a bus stop or an hour or so on a plane, can't in the car because I'll get travel sick. I think its because of the Bluetooth so if thats correct you can't do that on the PSP 3000. I wonder if that means PSone games have the correct controls? I'll look that up.

Thanks for the help, I'm more informed but I'm afraid I'm still about in the same spot I was when I started trying to decide. I won't pay anywhere near £250 for a Go but I've seen a lot of places that sell it for £144 or so, which makes the price closer, £50 - £60 pounds more than a cheap 3000. I know that on the whole the 3000 is the better choice, but for my needs and wants the Go does and the moment nudge its way into the lead, I think just because it can use the PS3 controller. Can't take that with me on holiday this time, I can only take a small bag but I don't really intend to use the PSP for long, just for dull moments and travelling.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:49 pm

I've got a PSP Go now, and I thought it was broken when I started playing around with it on the bus because the PS button didn't work and the analog nub didn't do anything on the PS menu screens. However I downloaded a demo to check the analog nub and it is working, though very stiff (I'm sure I'll get used to that) and I pressed the PS button in the game and it let me quit it. I'm wondering if maybe I need to sign into my PSN account to be able to use the PS button to turn the PSP off.

It feels fine to hold and I checked some prices in the shops and they aren't that different from the PSN prices for the most part (MGS was £28 in the shop and £31 on PSN, when you add in my bus fair to get into town to buy it the PSN Store is cheaper and easier).

Got to go through the hassle of working out my Wifi information again now, I'll likely do that tomorrow or tonight, got to go to work soon.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:31 am

Ok I have a confession I felt like an an idiot asking to buy the PSP Go, I even explained why I didn't get the 3000 to the guy that I was buying it from. When I asked about the PSP Go in the window I got a reaction like "What! reallY?!?" I was half expecting to be laughed out of the shop.

So here are the games I've bought and am thinking about:

I have:

Assassins Creed

Tetris (Something you can always go back and play for 5 minutes)

Mod Nation Racers (I have a Kart game on my DS I always enjoy playing so I know Kart games are long lived things)

Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker

The ones I'm thinking about getting:

FF7 Crisis Core

Sega Megadrive collection (Includes Phantasy Star 1 and 2)

Power Stone 1 & 2

Little Big Planet

FF9

Anyone else know any good PSP games that are on the PSN Store?
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:46 am

Should of just mocked them back for selling it. Shops make absolutely nothing from console sales, it's all made from games....which they can't sell for the go.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:10 am

Power Stone 1 & 2!!!Shocked Worth it just for them.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:04 pm

Could just get them for dreamcast...
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:45 pm

I have Power Stone 2 on my Dreamcast, but having it on the tiny screen and portable would be awsome.

It seems FF7 Crisis Core isn't on the PSN Store, a bit of a let down but no big deal. The PSP Go apart from being useful when I go on holiday is also a bit of a stop gap till the 3DS comes out and I'm much more interested in the FF game that will be on there in 3d (Its not confirmed it will be 3d but since its on the 3DS the chances are it is), I wonder which it will be, I want FF7 or FF9, as remakes like on the DS. I don't want a new FF unless they get their games right again.

Downloaded the demo of Patapon I liked it, not sure how much it is but I might get it and also Patchwork Heroes. I might save Little Big Planet for when I go.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:45 pm

Mod Nation Racers (PSP) vs Mario Kart (DS)

Mario Kart is the better racing game, the Karts handle better and the racing experience is by far more refined. Mod Nation is good, theres nothing really wrong with it other than it needs a bit more depth to the actual racing, but it is the first game in the series so I'm sure it will get sequals and it will deepen, also the racing element will naturally lack because the game is spilt with the customizing options. Mario Kart gives you a fair few Karts to choose from but not as much choice as Mod Nation, though I'm certain the PS3 version has a lot more options. However the problem with Mod Nations Kart options is that they have no affect on the Karts all the differences are cosmetic, it would have been nice if they could have given things stats that have an affect on the Karts. Mario Karts Karts do have different stats which make racing different depending on what you use.

Both have online play (I can't get online with my Mario Kart, when I did have it on Wifi I could never connect) haven't played either online so can't compair that. Mod Nation does have a story line and its quite funny but I don't think I would really want to play it again when I've completed it, so on the whole I prefer Mario Karts Cups, I can't play those over and over again and still enjoy them.

I would recommend Mod Nation Racers to anyone, its a good game and it does give you quite a lot of customizing options, and I would say its the best you'll get on the PSP. But Mario Kart is still the King of the Kart games by a long way.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:53 pm

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.

I like it, it looks very good and since its MGS it'll be a good game. At the moment I've only played it a bit and I'm liking it but, and this is mostly down to the limits of the PSP, the controls are a bit meh... looking around is a pain in the butt and aiming to fire takes a long time, I'm sure I'll get used to it over time but it would have been good if Sony had added another nub, the guards I met did take a little time to fire which if thats the case all the way through will even things out a bit.

I don't think these kinds of games ever work well on the handle helds, they need two nubs.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:01 pm

Oooo looks like the PSP has Crazy Taxi as well, Crazy Taxi with mutliplayer (Don't know if thats online or local connection).
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:07 am

Actually MGS Peace Walkers controls are ok, I mean they are still difficult but it actually forces you to be stealthy because a big gun fight would be difficult to win. It doesn't have proper cut scene's it uses the MGS comic book style cut scene, which normally I don't like but this time its very good, the art is nice and has good minimal animations and interactive sections (Messed up the first one I came across, I like to move the screen down over the buttons when watching cut scenes). They might have got better sales with the Go if they had added another nub, they put start and sellect in the place they could have put it. Start and sellect are in a bad place anyway they are too close and trying to press them with a thumb is a hassle.

PSP its tempting me. White_psp_go
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:04 am

It's a psp, not a new device. A second analog isn't on the old psp, it's not going to be on the new one.
    You don't add new functionality to a device this late in it's life cycle. It's just alienates your loyal base and the early adopters, who I might add are not buying Go's as it's not really a good idea if you've already got one, your existing games don't work and it's somewhat overpriced for that dubious feature.

If you want to play games with dual analog don't buy a handheld console, simple. Personally my problem isn't with not have dual analog, but more with the nub just being shit in the first place. 2 x utter turd is still utter turd. Final note, analogs not even comfortable if you don't have a proper handle grip. Which is never going to happen for dual analog. Portable is going for smaller, not larger love handles.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:06 pm

Ya ya, I know the PSP is at the end of its life. I was just looking at it and thinking "Hmm there's a nice place for another nub" its a shame they didn't, if I was part of Sony I would have insisted on it being put onto the PSP 2000 (Or whatever the second version of the PSP was). I wonder what Sony are planning to try and beat the 3DS or if they will give up on the handheld market, they say they aren't going to try and give the next PSP 3D they are going to focus on 3D for the PS3, and then they made a stupid remark about the 3DS being for kids, and the 3D being wasted on them (Thats what I think they were saying, I read the quote once and thats what I remember).

Oh last night I finally worked out how to turn my PSP Go off, I know that sounds stupid but I have no instruction manual and there's nothing saying on/off or power. I looked up the manual online and the button that I thought just put it to sleep, if you hold it for say 4 seconds it turns the PSP off. I've been just putting it to sleep for the last day and half.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:58 pm

Ok rented a movie today to try it out before I go a way. The movie quality is fine, though I don't really find it comfortable holding the PSP while watching and so far I've not sat for more than a minute or two watching. Something quite annoying is that if you stop the movie and then turn the PSP off, the movie goes back to the start when you try and watch it again.

Quite disappointed about the back light, I was hoping that it would make it much easier to play games outside, I can see the screen but not well. I guess outside is the final frontier for gamers (Que Star Trek parody).
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:57 pm

Just noticed a nice little thing on the Go, there is a pause function on the Go and if you need to stop playing and turn off the Go you can pause the game at the exact spot and continue later or play something else. I've already said this but I just let my battery run out while playing and it uses the last bit of battery to pause your game, one downside to this is it might erase another pause that maybe you have more interest in keeping.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:24 pm