The Ragol Arms

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Arms Ep III

Heading back to Ragol ? Maybe ..

+3
Visage
Briisace
Fenon
7 posters

HD TV's

Fenon
    Fenon

HD TV's Empty HD TV's

Post by Fenon Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:22 pm

Been thinking about getting one, haven't thought about it until now because well they weren't much good, new tech and all that. Went into Comet the other day (Had to get something else and Comet was there), looked at the HD TV's, some looked ok most had really awful pictures (Imagine the aerial being in the wrong place on old TV's and thats what the picture was like) I'm guessing thats mostly down to them being on 24/7 but still begs the question how long will they last, don't want to buy an expensive TV and have to replace it next year.

I didn't see anything that made me say "Wow thats so much better than me standard TV", what do you guys think about HD TV's?
    Briisace
    Briisace

HD TV's Empty Re: HD TV's

Post by Briisace Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:22 pm

Had one for years. If your watching an old program it can look a bit naff. Something to do with less pixels in the picture than on the tv, so the tv fills in the gaps. If your watching a hd source though it looks amazing. If your looking to get a new one you want led as lcd is old hat. They're quite a bit more expensive but they're only about an inch thick. You can get hd channels on freeview now so you don't even have to get a hd subscription on sky or virgin.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:18 pm

I see, thanks for replying. I took a look at a few LED TV's this morning before work quickly yeah they are a bit more expensive. I'll have to see if I can find any in the shops so I can see what the picture is like. Not going to be buying anything until at least the end of the month. Know any good shops to get HD TV's from?
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:11 pm

All my teck is game driven so upgrading to an HD set is worth it just for the improved resolution you'll get with the PS3, unless your using a PC monitor in which case it will be similar.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:45 pm

Just a standard TV, but it has a fairly large screen, not as big as the HD ones I was looking at getting.
    Armok

Post by Armok Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:28 am

No point having a ps3 or Xbox with a regular none HD Tv Fen. Classics like Worms and Sonic just look so much crisper.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:43 pm

Is there actually a difference or is it one of those things where you are told there is a difference and so you see it, because I really haven't seen a difference. I've not had a Standard TV next to an HD TV to see what is so different, I've seen what look like photoshopped down Standard TV videos shown on HD TV's in shops but I don't trust those because chances are like I just said they've likely been edited to look worse to make the HD look better. I went into the shop to see if I could notice the difference but most of them weren't working and the videos being shown on the TV's didn't do anything to show me the difference.

And I'm in two minds about getting a new TV because I want to live a simplier life (My life is already simple but ignore this) without comforts (I'm teaching myself to sleep without pillows (I have a stiff neck every morning, then I'm going to try sleeping on hard surfaces like the floor. I'm a light sleeper its really not hard to wake me) or distractions like TV. But playing on a BIG TV which is supposed to be better would be sooooooo cooooooooooool!
    Armok

Post by Armok Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:22 am

Nah seriously a HD TV is well worth it for gaming. Annoying small text is crisp, sound through a HDMI lead is better and the whole experience is much better.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:59 am

I have noticed annoyingly small text lately, on GTA 4's Gay Tony expansion I couldn't even read the texts messages I got, the text was just blurred together.
    Armok

Post by Armok Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:56 am

Seriously Fen with modern Consoles a HD tv IS needed. You might as well be running a PS2 i your using a none HD tv. The difference really is what takes the quality to the next lvl.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:04 am

Ok back to this again, I'm thinking now that since 3D TV's are coming out and its going to be the next big thing for TV, maybe I should get one. Thing is there are only 3D ready TV's, was just having an HD ready tv a problem?

Does anyone know much about 3D tv's? I'm going a way at the end of the week, so depending on how much I have when I get back I'll either be looking to finally buy a new tv the end of this or next month.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:20 am

This is what I'm thinking about:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE40C750-Widescreen-Allshare-Internet/dp/B003JEVQRK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279070648&sr=8-1

There don't seem to be many 3D tvs around at the moment and this is the cheapest I've found, the rest are over £1000, I haven't seen the warranty yet.
    DS9
    DS9

Post by DS9 Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:57 am

eventually i hope to get a hd tv

3d tv hmmm don't like that at all
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:39 am

Not a fan of the new 3D tech Nine? I quite like it, much better than the Bots Master days.

I'm writing this on me PSP don't you know. This site doesn't work well on it.
    Darkstone
    Darkstone

Post by Darkstone Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:27 pm

Fenon wrote:

I'm writing this on me PSP don't you know. This site doesn't work well on it.

Really ??...you surprise me.... Very Happy
    Briisace
    Briisace

Post by Briisace Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:37 pm

Can't see the point of 3d tbh, not until you can watch it without the glasses anyway.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:49 pm

I think I know how it could be done without glasses, but I don't know if we have the tech get for it. The glasses are fine, don't think I even thought about them in the cinema and they aren't like the old red and blue ones. The problem at home is that each pair costs about £50 so having guests round to watch a 3D movie would be expensive if they don't have their own.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:44 am

I've been looking at TV's on site's like PCWorld and Amazon and Amazon appear to usually sell the same TV's but around £200 cheaper. Also PC World are crap and either lie or make huge unforgivable mistakes. Anyway, is there any reason I shouldn't get the TV from Amazon?
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:52 pm

Just got back from PC World, there was a larger version of that TV I posted the link to which has a very good picture and also has 3D and there was an LG TV with an amazing picture. I had given up on the idea of 3D, my Dad convinced me not to bother with it, but as we were leaving the shop I noticed a 3D demo and my Dad looked at it (His first time seeing the new 3D tech) and was like "WOW" and laughing, he was completely against it before but is now pro 3D. Then I looked at it and was pulled back over the 3D fence. As long as I don't spend a huge amount on holiday I should be able to afford it in about two weeks.

Plasma screens look crap, the colours are all washed out and cloudy. A few minutes into looking at the TV's I could clearly tell the difference.

Oh and I could also see the difference in quality of HD over my current TV, it's not ruined the old TV's picture for me but yeah the quality is different.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:19 pm

Ok the TV also has a 2D to 3D converter which should be fun, using it for games I already have and for things like Skype. Hooking my Laptop up to the TV and playing PSO in 3D. Awwwww or playing classic 2D games in 3D, Alex the Kid, Tetris or Sonic the Hedgehog. (You don't need a 3D TV to do this you can buy 2D to 3D converters for about £90) The conversions aren't as good as the videos etc that are meant to be viewed in 3D.

Looking forward to getting it now, too much actually, I'm wishing away the holiday that I've not started yet. And even regretting going on it a bit (Only because I've been looking at TV's today and I want one) I could have ordered it today if I wasn't, if I order it off the net (At the end of this month) it'll be at least 3 weeks before it arrives (From now not the date it's ordered), I might go look at Comet, they had that 3D TV for about £20 more than Amazon on their website so if they have that same deal in their shop I could buy the TV in person, which I'd rather do because I take the TV back if its damaged etc, which is harder if its bought online.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:37 pm

Got myself a new TV a couple of weeks ago, I thought our old Toshiba HD 720P was good until we got this LG 1080p, only 60hz but I made sure the screen had a fast refresh rate and WOW!! I know the greys had washed out on the old one but games like Assassins Creed II look like they have a whole new colour pallet, and night time in Red Dead is now playable where as before in coop missions I couldn’t see a thing, so no excuse now.

So fen you don’t need to spend a fortune its going to be massive leap up from you old telly. Like going from SNES to N64.
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:20 pm

You went from bright and colorful to horribly blurry? SNES to N64 is a baaad analogy.
    Visage
    Visage

Post by Visage Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:58 pm

Ok give me a better one
    Neo Chade
    Neo Chade

Post by Neo Chade Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:04 am

I couldn't offer a better one, aside from all games being designed for hd making text all but unreadable on an sdtv, I see no really tremendous benefit in HD. Got one downstairs but not very often used for games.

Keeping with the theme though, N64's horrible blurry low res textures to Gamecubes lucious graphics, now thats an improvement.
    Fenon
    Fenon

Post by Fenon Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:18 pm

I love my N64's graphics so boo to that. Ordered that TV, had to force myself to finish the order and I've been away on holiday for the past week so I went to work before I ordered the TV incase something had happened and I would be out of work. Should have it on Tuesday. Got it from Amazon because its £350 more expensive in the shops.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:33 pm